Gas flex line in a wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Solan

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm installing a "dryer box" in my laundry room. The box creates a recess in the wall behind the dryer and allows for a connection of the 4" exhaust line and a gas line. For the gas I'd like to transition from 1/2 inch pipe to a flex line inside the wall and run the flex into the dryer box where it will connect with a termination fitting as seen here:

dryer-box-gas-connect.jpg

My questions are:

What is the approved method for the transition?
Can I just screw the CSST line onto the rigid pipe?
If so are there special connectors that I should include?

Thanks,

Solan

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The "flex line" which you can by at the hardware store or HD are NOT CSST, and absolutely may NOT be used inside the wall.

CSST can only be purchased by plumbers who have a factory training certificate. If you find someone who would sell it to you, you do not want to be doing business there.

Gas work like this ALWAYS requires a permit, and an inspector would not allow CSST installed by a homeowner.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
CSST can only be purchased by plumbers who have a factory training certificate. If you find someone who would sell it to you, you do not want to be doing business there.

CSST is available off-the-shelf and to anyone in one of the box stores here where I happen to live, but that does not mean it is a good idea for an untrained DIYer to attempt installing it. With a permit, inspection and leak test required for any and all gas work, only the engagement of a pro would be wise.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The consequences of an improper gas installation are severe enough to warrant installation by a pro...

I.E.
Failure of the family to wake up in the morning.
or,
A loud noise in the home accompanied by heat and incredible pressure!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am very surprised to hear that they are letting the warehouse stores sell CSST. I guess they sell everything else!

in wants out

Reaction score
In California, I believe your Gastite or Tracpipe Certification allows you to install CSST only under the direction of a plumbing contractor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks