Single Lever Shower Valve Ultra sensitive and difficult to adjust temperature

Users who are viewing this thread

Tenderpaw

Reaction score
My dad had the shower re-done and they replaced the single lever water valve with a B&K single lever valve. Now it is very difficult to get the water temp right. Move it slightly one way and its too HOT and the slightly the other way and its too COLD. What can we do to fix besides replacing the valve. I don't want rip out he tile or the wall.

Thanks.

Dave

Tenderpaw

Reaction score
I was afraid of that! But that is what the plumber put in. So is the answer the valve is just a piece of Chinese made &^%&^%?

Dave

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
B&K is not an unknown company, but I would put their faucets and valves in the second tier.

Down the road when you need to replace a handle or cartridge, it will be a little harder to find. Be sure to keep the user/install manual with model numbers and part numbers for future reference.

Asktom

Reaction score
B&K is owned by Mueller Industries ( www.mullerindustries.com ) and the faucets are/were made by a number of different Chinese companies. They may have discontinued their faucet line. They used to have exploded parts diagrams at www.bk-ind.com , but the site seems to be gone.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They used to have exploded parts diagrams at www.bk-ind.com , but the site seems to be gone.

And that's why plumbers like to stick to tried and true.
It's always nice when the manufacturere has a web site, and phone operators that will help the homeowner and send out parts.
Moen, Delta, Price Phister, Grohe, Hans Grohe to name a few.
Jamie tried to get a small part for a Home Depot faucet, the other day, no luck.
He wound up replacing the entire faucet.

Tenderpaw

Reaction score
Is there anything i can do to fix the present faucet? Could the cartridge be the problem?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing that could cause that sort of problem is if the valve is a thermostatically controlled one, and the supplies are reversed, or (not all valves can do this) the valve is installed 180-degrees out of whack. Sometimes, all it takes is taking the handle off, removing the stop, and rotating the cartridge and put it back together. There could be some crud caught in the cartridge or the inlet filter (not all have an inlet filter).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks