Low pressure from PEX manifold

Users who are viewing this thread

shayniferd

Reaction score
I just installed a PEX manifold system and have significantly lower pressure than I did with my galvanized system. The copper pipe from the street is 3/4, which I transitioned to 3/4 PEX. I ran straight to the water heater and have less than three feet of pipe from the water heater to a five port manifold and also about three feet of water from the T to the water heater to a ten port cold water manifold. There were no leaks that I could find, so i don't think I'm losing pressure there.
What could cause a loss in pressure like this?
Thanks

shayniferd

Reaction score
Two full baths.
In the previous system, the copper transitioned to galzanized as it passed the water heater. How is the diameter of 3/4 galvanized compared to 3/4 PEX?
The faucets that are closer to the manifold have much better pressure than the ones furthest away if that helps ID the problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What size is the manifold and the pipes leaving it?

Galvanized could be quite small ID after a long time. It's hard to compare old stuff with new pipe. Could be clean, could be the opening of a soda straw or smaller.

shayniferd

Reaction score
I thought I should have one inch from the meter as well, but it is definitely 3/4. I have enough copper to run it to the water heater and just up to the manifolds. I'll try that and see if it helps.
Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

3/4" PEX has only slightly higher capacity than 1/2" copper. What size are the lines from the manifold to the faucets. If they are small, or overly long, that will be the most likely source of your poor pressure.

shayniferd

Reaction score
From the manifolds to the faucets it is 1/2 PEX. The shorter lines were OK, but the longer ones were terrible.
I replaced the 3/4 PEX with 3/4 Copper and that has helped. The shorter lines now have adequate pressure. I ran 3/4 PEX on my longest run, to the kitchen, but the pressure is sill low. It's about a 30 foot span. I guess I'll have to go 3/4 copper there too.....
I've learned a lot with this if nothing else. I plan on building a house in the next few yeas and this is valuable information.
Thanks to all those who replied.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks