Washington State and it's "dance" tax

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Washington State taxes places that have dancing.
The tax, which dates back to the 1960's, is levied on businesses that offer people the "opportunity" to dance.
Not everyone was aware of the tax. When approached by the State for the back "dance" taxes, many places went out of business. Some considered reopening and dropping music and dancing as a result of the dance tax. Are they trying to tax us to stay home, turn on the TV and watch others being active participants in life? Dancing as a whole, has had a bit of a downturn because of the economy, which has lately been picking up again. I feel for those whose life is music, feel for them being targeted by the State and being taxed now for enjoying with their feet are feeling.

The Times had a nice article about the Century being saved by those that dance there.
http://seattletimes.com/html/opinion/2021052946_anasofiaknaufswingdancenotebookxml.html

Also this from the State's website

RULE 183; RCW 82.04.050(3): RETAIL SALES – AMUSEMENT AND
RECREATION SERVICES – CHARGES MADE FOR PROVIDING THE
OPPORTUNITY TO DANCE. When a nightclub provides a dance floor along
with music, it is clearly providing patrons with “the opportunity to dance.”
Therefore, the cover charge for admission is subject to retail sales tax and
retailing B&O tax

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...protest-washington-state-tax-on-dance-venues/

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
There's always one way of stopping things, that is to boycott. Stop going places to dance that charge the tax, it will put pressure on the right people. By the way, I was just trying to be funny, my husband always used that expression with me. Hope this helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks