Culligan Super S not pulling bleach

Users who are viewing this thread

jreed

Reaction score
I placed a new bottle of bleach on my Culligan Super S and it is still full over a week later. This is obviously an issue. Before I call my Culligan dealer, id like to see if there is anything i can check to help diagnose the problem. Can anyone help me out? The recharge seems to be running fine.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely the injector is plugged or the end of the tube in the bleach is plugged.
If your culligan is an older one there is a silver plate on top of the valve between the control and the bypass, that plate has three screws that hold it down.
With the unit in bypass start a regen or cleaning cycle and then remove the screws and make sure that the injector which is either going to be blue or tan is clear.

jreed

Reaction score
I did that and it looked clogged but not sure how to clean it out. What do you recommend.

Now it is leaking right around the bypass. Why do they make those bypass' so hard to engage?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
One might have to move the bypass piston back and fourth a few times to get the o rings to work right after there has been no movement with the piston for years.
I just pulled the assembly out with the use of a standard screw driver, there is a flat spot to the rear when the cover is off, the end of the screw driver as a wedge to pop up that injector assembly, then soak the two in some vinegar for awhile to take off the build up a small needle has been known to open the hole but care should be taken not to mark up the blue or tan part that can be removed from the cage that it is in.

jreed

Reaction score
One might have to move the bypass piston back and fourth a few times to get the o rings to work right after there has been no movement with the piston for years.
I just pulled the assembly out with the use of a standard screw driver, there is a flat spot to the rear when the cover is off, the end of the screw driver as a wedge to pop up that injector assembly, then soak the two in some vinegar for awhile to take off the build up a small needle has been known to open the hole but care should be taken not to mark up the blue or tan part that can be removed from the cage that it is in.

Great, thanks! I figured it could be removed but didnt want to try myself. The by bypass seems to have stopped leaking now so hopefully it wont start again. Ill try your suggestion tonight.

If that doesnt fix the problem, is there anything else i can check?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the injector is clean or you clean it and the line to the bleach is tight to the valve and clear to the bleach and it will not pull the bleach then there is some thing up with either an o ring on the brine piston or the main seal pack has a challenge.

jreed

Reaction score
I pulled the silver cover off and there was a white valve that I got out...i dont know if it was plugged completely but there was a lot of build up on it so i cleaned that. I didnt notice the other part you were talking about. Maybe Ill take a picture when it is done recharging and see what you think.

One other question I had, at what point in the cycle is the bleach injected? I wish I knew a little more about these systems.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Think of your system like that of a softener, the backwash is first and then the brine draw or in your case the bleach draw.
A photo would be good so that we are on the same page of thought.

jreed

Reaction score
LOL, now i ran a recharge and my bleach bottle overflowed a little. Something must have backflowed into it. The only thing I did was take the fitting off of the tube and rechecked it then cleaned that valve. Ill get a photo this evening.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is some thing strange going on.
It is possible that the injector that was removed was not put back in right?
Photos would help to clear some ideas as to what is going on or not going on.

jreed

Reaction score
Wasnt able to get pics tonight because my 5 year old is sick but ill try tomorrow. Very possible I didnt get it reinstalled right. It was very tight going back in so maybe u didnt get the injector far enough in. Could the bleach intake wand have anything to do with it?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Culligan injector.jpgCulligan injector assembly.jpgThe wand is a one way check valve, to pull in what ever it is put into.
Make sure that the drain line is free and clear and not plugged.
Note the injector assembly that I am talking about.
The little blue one in the photos needs to be all the way down in the holder, if not there will not be the proper draw.

jreed

Reaction score
Hey there, sorry for the late response. I just got back around to this today. When I pulled the injector I noticed a small piece of iron had settled into the hole and was plugging it after I had cleaned it. Once I pulled that chunk out and flipped the bypass the thing started pulling bleach!

Thank you so much for the help! You saved me a couple hundred dollars and taught me a few things along the way!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very good news that you have it up and running again.
It is good that you have learned a few things about your system so that you can deal with some simple trouble shooting and get it running.

jreed

Reaction score
Very good news that you have it up and running again.
It is good that you have learned a few things about your system so that you can deal with some simple trouble shooting and get it running.

If you dont mind Id like to ask another question. I have had this unit for 7+ years and it's probably time for a rebed. I have a basic idea on how that is done but dont know how to select the materials to put inside. Any tips on that? Is it all generally the same or does it depend on water conditions?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bed could be getting close to needing a change out, one good sign is the with the water at the same quality and usage the same the system has to go more often for the water to be treated.
Yours would be about 10lbs of fine pea gravel or some thing along the line of #20 and then about 1 cubic foot of carbon, at least I think that is what culligan uses in systems like yours.
The amount would depend on the size of the media tank under the control that you have worked on.

jreed

Reaction score
Ill have to check the manual to see if it says in there. I didnt know if it was specific to the unit or specific to my water.

I see now why you said there would be two pieces to the injector assembly. I was pulling out the injector, not the injector and holder.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The media tank is most likely 10" across and 47" high?
It is good that you are learning about the parts on the system.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
With the 10x54 that would be 1.5 cubic foot of carbon and about 13lbs of the very small gravel.
Now my thought would be that you the owner has a right to know the media that is in use, not the Corp name like Culligan but the data sheet and the street name of the media.
It could be that they are using the Centar Carbon... little spendy but good and if your system has gotten a number of years... say 10 then I would stay with the same type of carbon... it should be cheaper than the Culligan bags ....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks