Is this a can of worms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
I've got a house remodel in the works that involves a spruce-up of two bathrooms and a kitchen. Involved are three faucet replacements. Two are straightforward. The bathtub has a faucet unlike anything I've encountered before. The house is 100 years old but I imagine this bathroom is 40-60 years old.

The faucet is mounted directly to (through) the tub. The clearance above the overflow is very tight. I took some measurements and sketched this up. One KEY detail. Due to a closet I have full access to the supply pipes behind the tub. What I'd really like to do is find something that aligns with this hole pattern and run a shower feed up behind the wall to a "regular" showerhead.

Am I going to have any luck finding this type of faucet??

Attachments

• tub_faucet.jpg
    tub_faucet.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 375

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, today's codes would not allow that filler valve...the tub spout needs to be above the flood rim of the tub to prevent any possible contamination of the water supply. Then, because it is a shower as well, code requires an anti-scald valve technology. I'd see if I could find or make a waterproof cover plate and mount a new valve, spout, etc. above the rim. It would be an unusual tub that still looked good at 50-60 years, so maybe it's time while remodeling to replace it as well. Code often allows you to repair the existing one, but not replace it. If replaced, it needs to be brought up to current code. Depends on where you live and the inspector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks