sump pump/floor drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

moisheh

Reaction score
We have bought a house in the country. Although code calls for a sump pump, inspection is very lack. There is no sump pump nor pit. There is a floor drain/catch basin. I can see the weeping tiles( corrugated tube) where they enter this drain. I can also see another tube in the center that must go to the septic tank. It would seem to me that sending clean water to the septic system is bad design. There is no evidence of there being any back up problems. The whole area is built on a gravel ridge and has good drainage. I know the lack of a sump pump should be corrected. What is the best way of doing this without breaking up a lot of floor? Make a pit close to the drain and extend the weeping tiles to the pit? Convert the existing floor drain to a sump pit? Please excuse my ignorance on this subject. I understand city plumbing but this is new to me!

Thanks

Moisheh

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I can see the weeping tiles( corrugated tube) where they enter this drain. I can also see another tube in the center that must go to the septic tank. It would seem to me that sending clean water to the septic system is bad design. There is no evidence of there being any back up problems. The whole area is built on a gravel ridge and has good drainage.

Sending that water out to a septic tank would not necessarily be a bad design, but I would nevertheless suspect it goes somewhere else on your gravel ridge. If you have easy access to see inside your septic tank, take a look while using a hose to pump water into your floor drain. If you do not see that steady flow coming into your tank and your floor drain does not overflow, I would say you have a drainage system that works fine just as it is.

moisheh

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. It may be that there is no problem. I guess the lack of a sump pump had me worried. I will check to see where the water in the catch basin goes.

Thanks

Moisheh

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks