Shower Drain Waste Line P-Trap Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Wescotthouse

Reaction score
The existing shower drain line looks like picture 1.

Is the vertical pipe portion on the right side legal? Shouldn't the waste line be only horizontal until it hits the vent stack?

If I'm right, should I redo the pipes to look like picture 2?

I'm concerned with my solution because the P-trap riser is going to come down quite a bit (~2 feet). In addition, I'm going to have a horizontal pipe midway down the ceiling to the floor. I might hit or accidently run into them!

Attachments

• img_4579.jpg
    img_4579.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 7,071
  • img_4579-x.jpg
    img_4579-x.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,913
  • img_4579x2.jpg
    img_4579x2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 11,222
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you saying that it's a shower drain?

No p-trap
Wrong fittings when it goes from vertical to horizontal
No vent.

Are you sure that's not a lav drain with a vent on the next floor?

Just beyond I see what looks to be a drum trap for a tub.
Haven't seen one of those in years. decades

Wescotthouse

Reaction score
Are you saying that it's a shower drain?

No p-trap
Wrong fittings when it goes from vertical to horizontal
No vent.

Are you sure that's not a lav drain with a vent on the next floor?

Just beyond I see what looks to be a drum trap for a tub.
Haven't seen one of those in years. decades

you are absolutely right about the drum trap. yuck.

Anyway, that is definitely the drain for the shower. The attached image is a from from the bathroom floor above. The shower was added by previous owner who made it from a bathroom closet.

I discovered an S-trap within the hollow-core concrete subfloor and that is why I am trying to put in a P-trap. (BTW, I ripped out the old shower to put in a new shower.)

So to clarify, I plan on dropping a riser from the shower drain, adding a PVC P-trap, and connect it the rest of the way with a 2-inch PVC waste pipe to the 2-inch copper pipe with a no-hub connector.

My question is, should I take the riser all the way down to the level of where the entry point of the vent stack is and add the P-trap to the riser? From there I would take one horizontal PVC pipe (sloped, of course) and connect it to the vent stack with appropriate connectors.

BTW, I love this site.:D

Attachments

• img_4572.jpg
    img_4572.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 2,428
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks