My Pex install

Users who are viewing this thread

cybervex

Reaction score
How is this for a nice clean PEX install? Not quite complete, but getting there. The home build is taking forever as I am the the homeowner, builder, and all the tradesmen.

Attachments

• pex_plumbing.jpg
    pex_plumbing.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 11,123
  • pex2.jpg
    pex2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,352

cybervex

Reaction score
Jay, very nice job.

Where are you putting the water treatment; like at least a water softener? Especially when you have a tankless water heater.

Do I need water treatment for city water? I am going to put a filter in the kitchen for the water/icemaker and maybe something at the sink. In my current home, which happens to be on the same block, we have no water treatment.

Squ1rrel

Reaction score
I am sure Gary will say to test the water first....But you may want that softener if you use a tankless, just to be sure...they have a nasty habit of clogging with whatever minerals may be in the water, reducing efficiency and pressure.

cybervex

Reaction score
I am sure Gary will say to test the water first....But you may want that softener if you use a tankless, just to be sure...they have a nasty habit of clogging with whatever minerals may be in the water, reducing efficiency and pressure.

I did buy the isolation valves so that I will be able to clean it as needed.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Find the water company's web site and then their Water Quality Report and then hardness or total hardness. If they don't list hardness call them. Use the maximum figure and divide it by 17.1 to convert ppm or mg/l to gpg. If there is more than 3-4 gpg of hardness your tankless water heater warranty may be voided or not but, it won't work well for very long due to hardness scale build up. It is a very rare city water system that doesn't have enough hardness to justify a softener; that is more than 3-4 gpg of hardness. And there is no filter that will remove hardness and you don't need a filter if your water is always clear. There is no sense in filtering visibly clear water, is there?

I sell softeners all over the US and find hardness in the mid 20 gpg frequently with some in the high 30s or higher in certain places.

I have installed many softeners etc. in confined spaces and can tell you that you will have a tough time getting one to fit that small hall closet. So think on installing on the main before the manifold somewhere else. Like in the garage or outside if your area doesn't have hard freezing weather.

BTW, to clean a tankless takes acid IF the coil is metal it can be damaged with only a few cleanings. It is not much fun and can be needed very frequently if the water is hard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks