A.O. Smith GPDH 50 100 - Pressure switch error

Users who are viewing this thread

Janky

Reaction score
I have searched as much as I can around this forum for ideas and even found some manuals on how to test the pressure switch. I am just looking for any thoughts on this and also if someone could tell me where the switch is. Here is what I have collected this far.
A.O Smith "type"

aosmith-01.jpg

aosmith-02.jpg

aosmith-03.jpg

Manual's description of error code:

aosmith-10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Janky

Reaction score
Here are a couple shots of the unit

aosmith-05.jpg

Are those wires in the center connected to the pressure switch? I would guess that is it, or at least some kind of switch (2 wires)

aosmith-06.jpg

That clear air line looks like a vacuum line to me, but I don't know. Either way, if I pull that while it is running, I can produce the same error code. (?)

Also, after the unit shuts itself down with the error code, I can unplug it then replug it in, and it will run great (until it fails again which seems to be "random")

The hoses going outside the house seem fine.

The water heater ones are the two on the right

aosmith-07.jpg

The inlet is on the far right with the valve

aosmith-08.jpg

Janky

Reaction score
The outlet looks clear, but I cant see all the way down.

aosmith-09.jpg

Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd agree, the hose is the vacuum line and it must connect to the switch somewhere. If there are any leaks (hose split, bad connection, etc) , the fan doesn't run at the proper speed, there's an obstruction, there's a crack or bad connection in one of the pipes, or possibly, the pipes are too long (effective which gets compensated by both the length and the elbows) - any of those can restrict air flow by the vacuum (pressure) switch. Course, the switch itself could be bad, or there's a loose connection to it or even the circuit board isn't responding properly to the input.

As you can see, there's a lot of possibilities. First thing I'd consider is looking closely at everything for a leak, either into or out of the pipes.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That tube is not vacuum, it is the pressure sender and whatever it connects to on the other end, that is the switch. Replace the switch and tube, but also check the fitting on the blower end for obstruction

Reaction score
That tube is not vacuum, it is the pressure sender and whatever it connects to on the other end, that is the switch. Replace the switch and tube, but also check the fitting on the blower end for obstruction

Agreed, that fitting and the hose appear to be connected to the discharge side of the blower, not the suction side.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Whether vacuum or pressure, the idea is the same...if there's a leak or obstruction, or the fan isn't running properly, the pressure/vacuum can get out of tolerance and the switch won't operate. The switch itself could be bad or the electrical connection to it, or any of the other things I originally mentioned.

Had an old boiler with a concentric pipe for closed combustion and one of the internal elbows cracked...the switch shut the system down. Don't remember if it was a vacuum or pressure switch in that case, but the sensor can go on either side, depending on your design. Since it is more corrosive on the exhaust (pressure) side, I'd rather not see it there, but if it is the pressurized supply air, that's not an issue. In that case, there was a recall, and they replaced the pipe under (extended) warranty.

Janky

Reaction score

Well, I finally got a new pressure switch, and replaced it last night. Woke up this morning with the water heater showing the same error. Tonight I will pull that hose out and test it for cracks. I guess I can cut that "seal" made on the blower side PVC and lift it off the blower to look for junk built up in it.

If these two don't solve the problem I am not sure what to do. I may just call a plumber over or something.

jonny76

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem with my A.O. Smith. I even have the same model as you, so please tell me how or if you were able to fix it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks