Pocket Door Behind a Shower Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Glnow

Reaction score
Hi,

To save space in small bathroom/bedroom I want to switch out the bathroom door with a pocket door, as part of whole bathroom remodel.

It would need to slide behind the rear wall of the shower, opposite the side with all the plumbing. There isn't enough space to slide the door that way.

Before I get to far into the planning, is this a Ok idea or is there something inherently wrong I don’t know about? (i.e. it adversely effects the framing of the shower wall, code won't allow it, etc)

The shower walls and pan will most likely be mudded, same as it is now.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I did that once in a new home that I had built.
The tile job lasted about 30 days, then I had to go back and tear it out to put in a solid wall and a door that swung in on hinges. I took out the pocket door.

Never again. Pocket door framing is very flexible and the tile won't be supported.
Sometimes you learn the hard way, but you don't have to in this case if my misfortune decades ago is any help to you.

A pocket door frame was never intended to be used for backing tile in a shower.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can stand to make the wall thicker there, it can work fine...but, instead of using the somewhat flimsy thin studs they give you, I used regular 2x4's. This made the wall thicker, but it worked. If you can't make the wall thicker, I agree with Terry, it's a tossup, and may not work. Look at the hardware from www.johnsonhardware.com . They supply metal jacketed 'studs' that may end up strong enough, especially if you can use plywood instead of drywall or cbu directly. Again, if you use ply, if you're tiling, you then need a vapor barrier and some cbu, but you could use 1/4" stuff over the ply and not make that wall too thick. Or, if you were tiling and going to use Kerdi, maybe 1/4" drywall, then the Kerdi (check out www.schluter.com if you are thinking of tiling).

Glnow

Reaction score
Terry,

Thank you very much for the warning, I will definitely avoid the flimsy big box store pocket door frames. (and I'm about 99% sure this aspect of the remodel is a no go)

Jadnashua,

Would you please clarify what you meant by making it out of regular 2x4s? Do you mean you added additional 2x4 wall framing inside of the original wall, with the door sliding between the two? Or rather that you replaced the horizontal “studs†of the pocket door with 2x4s? Or something else?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Use cultured marble wall panels and the rigidity of the door's frame will be immaterial. However, my walls have stood the test of time for 12 years now without the tile coming loose or failing, and I have pocket doors at both ends.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Instead of using the supplied framing for the pocket, I framed it out of regular 2x4 lumber. this made the wall about twice as thick, but wasn't a big issue in the room where it is used.

Another possibility is a surface mounted track (similar to a barn door) in the room outside of the bathroom. Then, the walls are all 'normal'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks