Removing lead and oakum

Users who are viewing this thread

Marcus

Reaction score
Put this in the remodel forum, but I'm not sure where it should go -- sorry for the repetition!

Greetings!

I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel and am replacing some DWV lines with PVC, to be joined with a cast-iron stack. My current bath/shower drain is 1.5" galvanized and I'm replacing it with a 2" line for a corner shower. I'm trying to figure out the best way to maintain 2" to the stack and was wondering how difficult it is to remove the lead/oakum in a 3" sanitary wye (what the existing 1.5" drain ties into).

I've done a couple of searches and it seems like this shouldn't be too difficult, but I'd love to get some backup on that. I need to get the wye clean enough to accept a no-hub or a donut for new 2" drain.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Marcus

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
The easiest thing may be to cut the cast at a point a few inches above or below the hub...then just attach a sheilded hub.

I'm sure a "real" plumber could suggest a way to re-use the old hub...if at all even possible.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With poured joints, the lead can be removed by drilling holes around the circle, and then prying out with a screwdriver.

Sometimes a fernco insert will work. The rubber goes in the hub, and then the pipe slides in. A bevel on the end of the pipe and some liquid soap will help.

Marcus

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks Tony and Terry. I'm pretty sure these are poured joints I'll explore the drilling and prying, see what I come up with.

Thanks again!
Marcus

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks