The leak that I created

Users who are viewing this thread

mln

Reaction score
I'm trying to hook up the ice maker in a new refrigerator. I didn't use a saddle valve. It didn't seem like a good idea. So I tee'd off an existing 5/8" line just downstream of a valve.

First problem was the valve which didn't completely shut the water off.
I cut about an inch of line away and put in it's place a T with two 5/8" connections in line and the quarter inch connection for the ice maker on the third side.

Things seemed to be going smoothly until I tightened up one of the 5/8" connections. It didn't seem like I was anywhere near overtightening it and then I heard a snap. The small collar that contacts the copper line partially split away from the body of the T connection. Now there is a very slow leak there, I'm concerned about tightening it further and I don't know how to fix it. The ferrule is likely fused to the pipe and as I cut the pipe midway along a linear run, I can't cut away the portion with the ferrule as it will no longer meet up with the T.

Is there a sensible way to fix this? or should I just come to terms with the fact that I'm in over my head and I should hire someone who knows what they're doing??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's likley 1/2" pipe, which is about 5/8" OD. You can buy a ferrule puller. It sort of looks like a gear puller which should pull that ferrule off. Sounds like you had a defective ferrule. Kind of strange, unless it was made in China - they have problems with tempering and alloying metals.

If the ferrule actually split, you should be able to wrestle it off without a puller, though. You could have split the nut, too, but if so, you still need to get the ferrule off to put a new one on. The compression fitting doesn't need to be super tight. It needs to be tight enough so it doesn't spin, but not so tight that you compress the pipe so it is crimping the pipe a lot.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We would like a picture of the exact problem, but from what you said, soemthing very bad may happen very soon. This needs to be fixed.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
While you are at it, get a ball valve. That will shut the water off completely and easily. You are doing the right thing in NOT using the saddle valve as they are trouble waiting to happen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks