Bacteria Issues - New Well

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Just had a new well drilled for my cottage located in Northern Michigan. Was on a shared well previously. Used the continuous variable speed power pump and am happy with that. However, after several unsuccessful water sample tests, we are getting a no pass on the bacteria content of the water. The reputable well digger said he will "bomb" the well shaft with chlorine, then retest. The water is off to the cottage having been blown out before the cold winter. I am concerned that "even if it passes as a result of the chlorine, would that not just be a false negative, so when the chlorine is flushed out the bacteria could return?" How should I handle this. The well was dug some 89 feet, the 50' adjacent septic systems isolation distances were honored as I pulled a permit, and the other cottages along the beach with wells dug at this level have had no problems. Thanks.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
"Bacteria" is a general term that doesn't mean much.
Fecal coli-form now would be telling us something.

If the well water is contaminated, then the piping is also. The entire system must be treated with chlorine.

If the driller contaminated the well, a proper and complete chlorine treatment should fix it.

If the water table is contaminated from another source, the problem will be likely to return.

Mikei16

Reaction score
If he is not recirculating the water

If he is not recirculating the water down the well head, its all for nothing. ? What is the benefit of recirculating the water down the well head ?? I am re-using an older well that has not been used for sometime.

Mike

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The bacteria is/can be living on the wet walls of the bore hole and the casing. The chlorine solution should be recirculated to coat all surfaces inside the well. After the contact time has expired, the re-circulation should continue while the well is being pumped off to clean the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks