Advice: Winterizing frost-free faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

Buffalo Hunter

Reaction score
I am going to replace my old sillcocks with frost-free ones. Do I still need to winterize them each year (turning off shut-off valve & leaving them open)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Is your pipes going to be inside the slab?

I would still install one. I don't take advise from any handyman. They know enough to get them selves into trouble. I know some are real good and do try to follow codes, but not many.

If you install your sillcock right it will not freeze in the winter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The whole idea with a frost free silcock is that the actual guts that shuts the water off is at the long end of the handle, way at the base. They comde in various lengths to accommodate different wall thicknesses. So, when you shut the water off, it is already way inside the wall so normally, an internal shutoff is not required. You MUST remove any hoses, so that the water left in the outer part of the valve can drain. The thing should be installed with a little slope to drain, but enough will to keep it from splitting unless it is sloped severely backwards towards the house.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No winterizing as such needed, but do not leave a hose connected in the fall. If you do, the water will not drain out of the pipe and it will freeze and split the pipe. You won't even know it until you attempt to use the valve in the spring because a previously noted, the actual shut off occurs inside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks