Need Advice on Closet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

pmontelo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of good advice on my closet flange.

I'm just getting ready to put a new toilet on after a complete bathroom remodel and I'm not sure if my old cast iron toilet flange is going to give me a good seal.

I've attached some pictures.

I am not familiar enough with old closet flanges to know what I'm looking at, but it appears like the chunks of missing material might either be parts of the old wax ring, or maybe some caulking that was used to attach the flange to the 4" cast iron pipe.

Anyway, what would I need to do with this before putting on a new wax ring and the toilet?

Thanks for the help!
Pat

Attachments

• Flange1.jpg
    Flange1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 272
  • Flange2.jpg
    Flange2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 271
  • Flange3.jpg
    Flange3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 277
  • Flange4.jpg
    Flange4.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it was mine, I'd replace the whole flange. There are repair parts available, but the overall appearance of the flange makes me question the wisdom of trying to patch it. After all, you want a flange to last 40, 50, or more years.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flange looks better than the pipe!

Ideally, you'd have removed the flange, put the tile down, mounted a new flange on top of the finished floor, then installed a toilet. Because the flange is flush with th efinished floor, you'll want to use a thick wax ring.

See what the pros have to say.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks