Fleck 2510 - Brine Pick Up Float Valve Malfunction - New Valve No Help

Users who are viewing this thread

genehil

Reaction score
  • I have a Fleck 2510 and for the past few weeks when I've checked it I find the brine tank has not refilled.
  • I checked everything in the 2510 Econominder Valve and it is cycling and working properly.
  • I isolated the malfunction to the Brine Pick Up Float Shut Off Valve in the brine tank.
  • Once the float gets to the top and shuts the Brine Pick Up Float Shut Off Valve off so that no more water flows into the brine tank, it "hangs up" and takes a bit of "finger pressure" to "unhang" the valve.
  • If the Brine Pick Up Float Shut Off Valve shuts off in this "hung up" configuration, when the brine tank empties, the float does not descend with the descending brine level and when the brine refill cycle begins - the float is still "hung up" at the top of its travel so no water flows into near empty brine tank... and no new brine is generated.
  • I pulled the whole float assembly out of the tank and lubricated every part of it that I though could make this "hang up" happen and reinstalled it into the tank... and everything seemed just peachy.
  • Because after all my actions - the Brine Pick Up Float Shut Off Valve had been unstuck from its "hung up" position and I could freely move the float valve with my finger once everything was reinstalled in the brine tank.
  • HOWEVER... once I got everything hooked back up and manually opened the brine valve (in the Fleck) and "brine refill water" pressure was routed to the Brine Pick Up Float Shut Off Valve - the "hang up" immediately reoccurred.
  • A simple finger push on the float apparatus "unhung" it and it was ready for the next cycle... However, when the next cycle occurred, and the brine tank actually refilled (because the "hang up" had been manually cleared) the float eventually got all the way to the top and shut off the Brine Pick Up Float Shut Off Valve - but the "hang up" would reoccur... causing the next scheduled brine refill cycle to fail... no new water to the brine tank.
  • Voila I thought... I must need a new Brine Pick Up Float Shut Off Valve.
  • I ordered a new Brine Pick Up Float Shut Off Valve.
  • I just installed it.
  • The new Brine Pick Up Float Shut Off Valve also "hangs up" if the float is at the top because the brine in the tank is at the proper level and there is water pressure coming from the Fleck. Exactly the same problem.
  • If I clear the "hang up" with a tiny bit of finger pressure so the float actually "floats" freely - and then manually open the brine refill valve on the Fleck using a screwdriver to press the valve open - the water pressure going down to the Brine Pick Up Float Shut Off Valve immediately causes a new "hang up".
Any advice?
Gene H.
Panama City, FL

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a way of posting a pic? The float assemble is suppose to "check" if the water level raises enough to pick the float up. Water flowing into the brine tank should not cause the float to "check".

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think you have way too much water going into the salt tank or, should not be using the float to shut it off. The float valve is a safety to prevent salt water overflow from the tank, not to set the lbs of salt used per regeneration.

And IF your float valve is used to establish the sat dose, since the valve is closed that means the water flow was still running when the float stopped it so you aren't getting the proper/all of water to dissolve the proper lbs of salt based on the time the control valve has the brine refill flow running for.

Last edited:

genehil

Reaction score
Gary...
I guess that I didn't realize that the float shut off valve is sort of a backup in case the Fleck doesn't end the brine refill properly.
My best guess now is that the float shaft may have worked its way lower down after 5 or 6 years of work... worked it way lower down so that the shut off valve was activated sooner than it should have been (still with pressure applied during the refill).
As a result... the water was indeed still running when the float stopped it.
I've moved the shaft of the float about 1/2" higher than where it's been sitting... and I've initiated a new recharge cycle. I will go out there during the brine refill cycle and see what actually happens.
I had mistakenly assumed that the float shut off valve was the primary method of stopping the flow... instead of realizing that the Fleck itself is what is supposed to shut off the water flow into the brine tank at the end of the refill cycle.
I'll report my findings...
Thanks to all!

Gene H.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks