Water Results, Filter Recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

bewing

Reaction score
Hello, I had a well drilled back in November, and finally have gotten to the point of getting a pump set and sent off for a water test. The water test is back and I need some help understanding some of the numbers and getting some help with what type of filtration I need. Here is some of the information about the well.

Drilled Depth - 165 ft.
Hit water at - 135 ft.
Static Water level - 80 ft.
Diameter - 6" rock bore
recovery rate - 10gpm
Pump - 3/4 hp 12 gpm pump

Now for the test results (All results reported in mg/l unless otherwise indicated

pH - 6.82
Dissolved Solids - 148
Arsenic - <0.05
Harness - 48
Iron - 1.00
Manganese - 0.101
Nitrogen, Nitrate - .260
Sulfates - 13
Turbidity - 22 FTU
Total Coliform - 6 Colonies/100ml

I don't know much about any of those numbers except that the Total Coliform scares me. The well has never been shocked, the driller didn't shock the well back in November when it was drilled, and it was never shocked after the pump was set about a month ago. Is shocking it the right thing to do and re-test. Or should I get some filtration to take care of the bacteria?

Thanks

Barret

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would go ahead and shock the well, possible that some thing got in there at the start of between the start and now.

recovery at 10gpm and the pump is 12pgm?

bewing

Reaction score
recovery at 10gpm and the pump is 12pgm?

The pump is a 12 gpm, but only when the static water level is very high. At my static water level the pump produces just under 10gpm.

Are there any recommendations for an iron filter that I have enough gpm to back flush?

Since the water is not hard I'd like to not use a softener if possible.

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have the flow rate for greensand filter.. I would size it for 10gpm and not the 12 that the pump can do.

I would stay away from any unit that pulls in air to oxidize the iron and Mn... there will be lots of cleaning needed to keep the unit running long term.

bewing

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Is there anyway I could run a pyrolox or filox filter with my flow rates? And is there any advantage to those over greensand?

bewing

Reaction score
How did you measure 10 gpm from the pump? Unless it was through a 1" ID pipe, you'll read low.

It was measured through 1.25" ID, with no back pressure basically except through one 90 degree elbow. I don't have any equipment hooked up yet still trying to figure out the filter stuff before hooking pressure tank up.

PeterMiles

Reaction score
Website
www.calnuncamas.com
HydroFLOW protect wells from limescale using radio waves in an electric field. they have sizes for all diameters of pipe.
HydroFLOW uses natural osmosis to combat bacteria. It could be all you need.
I wouldn't use a salt based softener, as they need maintenance and you can't drink the water.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a salt based softener, as they need maintenance and you can't drink the water.
That's real strange. I've been drinking salt based soft water for, let's see, at least 20 years now. What makes you say you can't drink the water from salt based softener?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks