PEX stop valves?

Users who are viewing this thread

MushCreek

Reaction score
I'm running my PEX, and need (or want) shut-off valves at many locations, such as sinks and toilets. I have used a drop-ear elbow, plus a piece of pipe, plus a chrome stop valve. I see that they sell chrome stop valves that you connect the PEX directly to, but I don't see what keeps the valve from flopping around if you try to use it. With PEX going in, and a braided flexible line coming out, there is nothing mechanically holding the valve rigid like if you use a drop ear elbow. A PEX stop valve would certainly be easier and cheaper, and less opportunities to leak, but I don't like the flimsy mounting, or lack thereof. Am I missing something? Anyone use these? Thanks!

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Just need to pick which resembles your situation most closely before I can give a positive answer.;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 899
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5,360
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,065

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You're right. The saving grace is you don't use those stops often. But, should you want them solid, you need to convert to copper, anchor that well in the wall, and then attach your stop to it. They make some pex-copper terminations with a built-in fitting, a 90-degree bend, and the end already capped so don't need to add one to pressure test the lines prior to running the water, or finish the walls. For those stubouts, they sell copper brackets with holes for your pipes - you solder them to the bracket after fastening the bracket to the wall. very neat, very solid.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm running my PEX, and need (or want) shut-off valves at many locations, such as sinks and toilets. I have used a drop-ear elbow, plus a piece of pipe, plus a chrome stop valve. I see that they sell chrome stop valves that you connect the PEX directly to, but I don't see what keeps the valve from flopping around if you try to use it. With PEX going in, and a braided flexible line coming out, there is nothing mechanically holding the valve rigid like if you use a drop ear elbow. A PEX stop valve would certainly be easier and cheaper, and less opportunities to leak, but I don't like the flimsy mounting, or lack thereof. Am I missing something? Anyone use these? Thanks!

No, you're not missing something. Most pex valve systems frankly suck or require an expensive bracket mounted in the wall

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
I agree with both the previous posters!

Remember, pex is supposed to be wiggly, floppy and wander around.

How you install pex and fittings is up to your local plumbing codes which, in my case, I have never found!

I therefore use the manufacturers recommendations.

There were no leaks in any of the fittings in the pictures I posted and some are mighty old.

If the crimps are done correctly, they should not leak even with a lot of flexing.

And I have done some extreme flexing in a remodel.

Two out of the three of my pictured examples have been re-done.:D

MushCreek

Reaction score
That's the kind of installation I'm trying to avoid! This is a new house (mine) so I want it right. I guess I'll go with the drop ear elbows, which have mounting tabs to attach to the framing, and go with a threaded stop valve. Good point about being able to easily replace a bad valve! I figure a scared person in the heat of battle might put a lot of torque on a stop valve, especially if they don't know which way to turn it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks