What's Causing My K-3402 PB Rialto Toilet to Leave a Black Residue in Tank & Bowl?

Users who are viewing this thread

BillMPerry

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a K-3402 PB Rialto Toilet, and there is a black residue collecting in the tank and around the rim of the bowl. If I had to guess, I'd say it's the flapper or flapper seal breaking down. Our water isn't particularly hard. And I recently replaced the flapper. But, I'm still seeing the residue in the tank and rim of the bowl. Whenever I clean up the residue it returns within a day or so.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this residue to collect? And, most importantly, how might I go about fixing the problem?

Thank you very much for the help.
Sincerely,
Bill

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Are you using those inside tank cleaners? on some toilets they are a no no, they cause the parts to break down.

Pwjone1

Engineer
Reaction score
OK, as someone that just tore down a Rialto, one source of Black residue in the tank and therefore the bowl is from the fill valve base. The rubber washers at the bottom are black, feel around there, it they get old enough, right water conditions, you'll see some black as the rubber disintegrates. Generally the rubber gasket at the flush valve, depending on the model, could also be black rubber, but I'd say red is more frequently the case there, just depends. And I generally never have used inside tank bowl cleaners, but definitely have seen the rubber disintegrate, anyway. Just age.

k-3402-parts-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks