Help Please-BY Pass Shower Door Manufacturers

Users who are viewing this thread

nmchugh6

Reaction score
I'm re-doing a small bath. The current opening is 47 1/2 inches. Can anyone please help by recommending by-pass doors. Century? Easco (spl check), others? I'm in Central New Jersey with a budget of $5-700.
What do I look for as far as construction goes? Do I wait until tiling is done or can I order ahead of time if these are adjustable.
Thanks much.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most building codes will not allow a bypass door on a shower smaller than 54".....the entry opening is too narrow.

I believe LASCO used to make one, but it's distribution was limited to those few backwoods places where codes do not prohibit.

The makers of premade doors are Lasco, MAAX, Keystone, Sterling...among others. Century as I know the company is a custom manufacturer, and they would make you one if you want.

Why not get a semi-custom pivot door+fixed panel arrangement.?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sterling makes a nice pivot door as Jimbo mentioned. I use one on my 32" shower stall in my small basement bathroom. I looks good and work quite well.

nmchugh6

Reaction score
Thank you Jimbo. Is there a misunderstanding ? I'm referring to a sliding door when I reference "by-pass door". I was thinking that anything other than a slider would not leave a wide enough opening. The br is 5x9, the toilet sits directly outside the shower protruding approx 1 ft into that 5' width. I'm thinking that the slider gives me more room than any pivot door possibly could. I have a slider now and I understand I'll need to check with the twp, I'm curious though if given my clarification of the room size/toilet location, you still think I likely can't use a slider.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Funny, I have exactly the same setup in the bathroom I just remodelled, and our second bath is also the same. 5' wide x 9' "deep", the tub is on the far end of the room and the toilet is on the drain/showerhead side of the tub.

The one thing that was really hard to find was a pivot door setup *for a tub*. They were all assuming a very small glass panel on either side of a 24" wide door that swings out. I found a couple places that could custom make larger panels on the sides, but then you're talking a lot of $$$.

I actually purchased a bypass set of doors from HD, Keystone by Maax. They arent the highest quality but for our secondary bath work just fine. They are as wide as the tub (5'). You say the current opening is 47" wide? Does the current bypass door setup go the width of the tub? I just installed the tracks on each end wall where the tub was, the door fits fine in that area. I know there is an acceptable range of widths the door can be used, I dont know what it is off hand. Wouldnt see why it wouldnt work for a 47" wide opening, but FWIW I have the door even where teh toilet juts out. Can still enter and exit the shower just fine

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I understand your setup. A pivot door would be a problem due to space restrictions in the room. But a slider is not code ( depends on your building code). Take your 47½", subtract about 1½ for the frame, that gives 46". Subtract the door width, probably 24½" min, that leaves an opening of 21½" for entry to shower. Not enough.

Think shower curtains. Try the new curved rods, with hookless curtains.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The glass doors I had on my last tub had three panels...each was about 20" wide, and they nessled so 2/3'rds of the tub length was open when you slid them to one end. You might get buy with something like that.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I recently ordered a shower door for a 4' shower pan. I was able to find a pretty decent frameless slider made by Fleurco; it was a Cordoba unit in the Fleuro Banyo series.

This particular model can be ordered in two difference widths:

* 48†W/L x 71 3/16†H
* 59 1/2“ W/L x 71 3/16“ H

Now whether or not your local codes allow for a narrower opening than a traditional 5' installation like the others are saying, or even if you can get access to Fleurco doors where you are, I have no idea, but at least it's a start.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks