Kitchen sink drain (in wall) and disposal output!

Users who are viewing this thread

mad1ben2

Reaction score
We have changed kitchen sinks and when I went to connect last night I've realized that I have a [potential?] drainage issue.

In a nutshell, I believe the sewer line in my wall is too high when compared to the drain pipe coming from my disposal.

Here is my attempt to explain:
The sewer drain is through the wall under the sink and is a 2" pvc pipe. The very bottom of that 2" pipe is 11 1/2" above the cabinet floor (point of reference). With the new sink, the bowl is deeper and coupling that with a garbage disposal, the 'exhaust' from the disposal is lower than the sewer line going into my wall.

The disposal drain line is 1 1/2" black pipe, it comes out the side of the disposal and takes a 90 deg turn to the floor. The very bottom of the horizontal portion of this drain coming out of the disposal (before it takes a 90 deg turn to the floor) is 12 1/4" up from the cabinet floor... so it is only 3/4" higher than the very bottom of the sewer line going back into the wall.

In my thinking, this is a problem for multiple reasons, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on how to correct (hopefully short of going into the wall and lowering my sink drain line!).

The issues I see are that if I find a way to hook this up as is (and it would be a rig-job!), the entire section of piping that connects the disposal to the sewer line going into the wall will act as a 'trap' since it will pretty much all be filled with water. I assume this will make the sink harder to drain.

Am I missing something obvious here!?

thanks for any quick advice you can give me. Scott

mad1ben2

Reaction score
think I know the answer now...

sorry, I posted this question before doing a thorough search... I've now seen where others have posted this question and the answer seems to be simple... the only option is to lower the sewer line that goes into the wall... period!

That's what I will do.
Thx!
scott

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks