Dishwasher noise relieved by turning on kitchen sink faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

knishiya

Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here - I've been reading the forum for quite a while and finally joined.

I have a 5 year old kitchenaid stainless dishwasher. It has not been cleaning well lately and it is making a crazy loud noise. Continuous Noise sounds like a loud honk. Noise happens only when draining. I open the dishwasher and it is dry. (It fills fine but makes the noise when at the end of the drain cycle.) Noise comes from the water inlet valve. I can touch the water inlet valve and copper pipe and the noise changes. Noise completely disappears / stops when I turn on the kitchen sink faucet.

At first i thought i need to replace the water inlet valve but now since i just discovered that the noise stops when i turn on the kitchen faucet - im guessing it is a water pressure issue???

Would anyone have any ideas? Replace water inlet valve? Replace water line to dishwasher?

Also - it does not have an air gap, just a drain connected to the disposal.

Thanks,

Ken

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems like your next step should be to measure your water pressure. If it's way high, installation of a pressure reducer
and expansion tank on your incoming water line is the usual cure. You might still need to replace the DW inlet valve.

Cameron Miller

Reaction score
I fixed a problem like this, by replacing the cartridge in the kitchen sink's fuacet. For some reason, when the kitchen faucet was off, the dishwasher would make a horrendous noise. After replacing the worn out cartridge in the sink faucet, the dishwasher returned back to normal operation.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
noise

Your statement is slightly confusing, because you say it "fills okay",BUT the noise is during the drain cycle when there should NOT be any water flowing to cause the noise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks