Baseboard heat blocking toilet install

Users who are viewing this thread

jpresto

Reaction score
Hi, I'm replacing a toilet with the rough-in about 11" from the wall. I was going to replace it with a Toto, but baseboard heat that extends about 4" from the wall blocks the installation (from what I can tell) of most Toto models. So, it looks like I have two criteria to meet -

Is there a toilet with a 10" rough-in whose base is at least 3" off from the back of the tank?

I'm open to all makers at this point, power assist flush ok.

Thanks in advance - joe

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
10"

Most 10" toilets should work, because they are designed to fit on at least 9 1/2" so you automatically gain almost 1 1/2" plus the normal space from the base to the wall.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
I don't like the sound of that heater behind your toilet, I say haul it out of there. Toilets are not meant to be warmed! It could warm the wax ring and affect your seal... which I've seen happen from the heat being placed too closely before. All the warm air woofing around your tank will undoubtedly cause some serious tank sweating as well, which sounds like mildew paradise!

jpresto

Reaction score
Thanks for the adivce so far. Not moving heat, at least not yet.. remodel probably in a couple of years.

All the toto 10" toilet bases seem to be nearly flush in the back with the tank, so they are risky at best.

The most likely to work that I've found so far is the Kohler Wellworth, but it seems to be very poorly regarded.. any other 10" worth looking at? Pressure assist OK.

Thanks - Joe

D

dc_homeplumber

Addressing the issues Kristi brought up, you should probably use one of the "no wax" seals made by Fernco or Fluidmaster. Further, in combatting the mildew issue, the Niagara Flapperless toilet might be a viable option for you. Its rough-in is adjustable (10-12 inches) and instead of a traditional flapper in the tank, there is a plastic tray that holds 1.6 gallons of water that is tipped to release the water when you flush. There are no problems with sweating because the water contact with the inside of the china tank is minimal. The flush lever is mounted on the side of the tank and you can mount it on either the right or left. Other than a Fluidmaster seal and possibly the flush lever, there's nothing in it that you should ever have to replace.

My sister did a major remodel in June and bought two of these in the elongated model. She couldn't be more pleased and they rate highly in the MaP testing as well.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bowl

A combination that uses a standard bowl and a special tank will "move" the bowl 2" back, unless it starts out at least 5" from the wall as a 12" installation so that it ends up at 3" for yours, you will not gain anything by using the 10" model.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Joe ,what was the old toilet?

it obviously fit with the hydronic base. or did you change the flange location?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks