Bathroom Remodel - Toilet Drain Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

ptl_10

Reaction score
I am in the process of remodeling an upstairs bathroom. I want to relocate my toilet and this will require running a 3" pipe through my 2" x 10" floor joist. Here is a picture of the floor and where I would like to place the toilet http://home.earthlink.net/~ptl_5/ and the 2 different options for routes I have for running the drain pipe for the toilet. Route "A" would require drilling through 3 floor joist and the middle of the hole would be about 6" from the end of the joist. The other route "B" would require putting a hole where there are 3 joist together. Any help or comments would be great. Thanks.

Plumguy

Reaction score
I would go with plan "B", one hole to drill and be done with it. Also I would cut a couple of 2x's and sister up the old hole on each side.

ptl_10

Reaction score
plumguy said:
I would go with plan "B", one hole to drill and be done with it. Also I would cut a couple of 2x's and sister up the old hole on each side.
Currently there are no holes in any in the floor joist.

Plumguy

Reaction score
ptl_10 said:
Currently there are no holes in any in the floor joist.

Oh okay! Looking at the picture I thought the 3" wye was picking up the existing toilet and it looked like it went thru the joists.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
if no room underneath for a soffit. i'd go with plan b.
set up your pipe, drill the hole, then make a cardboard template of the hole and the 2x10. take it to a steel yard and have a 1/2" flitchplate made with staggard holes for bolts. install this first then your pipe.
this is whats done in jersey to pass frame inspections if large holes are drilled in bad spots.

ptl_10

Reaction score
plumguy said:
Oh okay! Looking at the picture I thought the 3" wye was picking up the existing toilet and it looked like it went thru the joists.

Its hard to tell from picture but the original set up goes under the joist.

Plumguy

Reaction score
If your'e joist are 16"on center then it looks like you would be moving your'e toilet about 4', which would equal 1" in pitch. If this is the case then you would only have to notch the bottom of them a very small amount which wouldn't effect the strength of them.

ptl_10

Reaction score
plumguy said:
If your'e joist are 16"on center then it looks like you would be moving your'e toilet about 4', which would equal 1" in pitch. If this is the case then you would only have to notch the bottom of them a very small amount which wouldn't effect the strength of them.
The joist are 16" on center and yes I would be moving the toilet about 4', there is a drop ceiling where all the plumbing currently is about a foot under the joist. I do not have this drop where I would be relocating the toilet toI would have to run through the joist and down where the current toilet drain is.

Plumguy

Reaction score
Ok, because you would have to offset the 3" up to the joists for the new location you will also have to install a vent for the toilet.

ptl_10

Reaction score
plumguy said:
Ok, because you would have to offset the 3" up to the joists for the new location you will also have to install a vent for the toilet.
I have a wall right behind where the toilet is and I was going to run that drain into the toilet using a side-inlet elbow which would provide the vent.

Plumguy

Reaction score
Side inlet elbows are not allowed here. You would be better off leaving a wye just before your'e closet bend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks