Sump pump questions ...

Users who are viewing this thread

firsttymehomebuyer

Reaction score
Hi there.

We just moved into a new home with a sump pump.

Up until October, it drained into the city sewer, but I guess the former owners were having some plumbing work done, and were told it could not drain there anymore.

So now it drains in the front yard onto the driveway ... which the water obviously freezes.

So the company came out today and said they could bury the drain line underground, but the end of it will have to come up above ground at a 90 degree angle.

They said we will have to make sure that stays clear of snow, etc.,

I guess my question is ... is this the best alternative?

I don't know much, but it seems like we'll be outside clearing it everytime it snows ... We live in southern Ohio and winters can range from very cold to mild, but ...

Is this how you guys would do it? Does this make sense?

Also, we have two pumps. One on the left side of the house and one on the right.

I know one of them works because I see where it drains every day.

The other one I don't know where it drains, but I am pretty sure it has not kicked on in a couple of days.

It hasn't rained in about five days, but I guess my question is ... is it normal that it hasn't kicked on at all, while the other one has.

Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can't run the sump pump output to the storm drain (if there is one), then I'd consider a drywell (a pit with a perforated tank in it) - run the output there. Note, this should be away from the house, or you might just end up pumping it back out again! You want the water downhill so it doesnt' run back towards the house. You'll have a skating rink in a cold spell if there is regular water in the sump. You could also install a cistern, and use that water with a pump to water your lawn and garden in the summer when there is a watering ban - you might have the only green lawn in the area!

One of the pros may have some other thoughts...I would NOT just dump it out onto the lawn.

Deandome

Reaction score
Umm...how do I dance around this properly... ;)

One could THEORETICALLY simply reconnect the outlet to the previously-used sewer line.

When houses are sold/bought/inspected, people do (and should) whip up the 'legal' outside-pipe setup so as not to be...well, illegal. But once you're in the house, many theoretical people reconnect to the sewer.

In my current house, we don't do this, there's a 4" underground pipe that leads to kind of a pond in the back of the lot (the 1/5" PVC just empties into the bigger pipe, which is that flexible black stuff).

But at my old house, we had a 'dummy' pipe going outside that we could switch to in minutes, should a situation arise where someone official would ever be in my basement. But of course, that doesn't happen too much (read "EVER"), so we just stuck w/the sewer.

Theoretically. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks