Soil stack and venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Tylock

Reaction score
Hello, I have an old rental and the soil stack stops at the first floor bathroom with a toilet on top of it which can't be moved. I replaced the old toilet in the basement plus added a wash basin. So those openings that were unintended vents are no longer and nothing worked, total vacuum. I snaked out the trap vent outside that was clogged and installed vents on the three sink traps. Everything works, but not great. There is a 5 inch iron pipe outside that comes out of the ground. It's to the side of the toilet in the basement 3 to 4 feet away. This pipe runs up the side of the house 30 plus feet and ends 3 feet above the gutter. Nothing is connected to this pipe on the exterior of the house. Do you think this is connected to the waste pipe underground? I plan on cutting it down in pieces for scrap then run a snake through it. If this is the vent and it dose work do I have to run a PVC pipe back up past the roof? What do you think?

Thank you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I think your description is too convoluted to figure out what is happening, but the pipe outside, if it is a vent, is useless as far as your indoor piping is concerned.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks