Goodman Heat Pumps Not So Good

Users who are viewing this thread

Masch

Reaction score
I just want to give everybody a word of warning so that you do not fall into the same trap as I have. About 4 years ago, I purchased a Goodman SSZ14 series heat pump system as an upgrade over the efficiency of my Carrier A/C and LP furnace hybrid system. With fuel prices climbing everyday, I thought this would be a good investment based on a breakeven of about 5 years. I chose Goodman primarily because of price, the long warranty, and the Copeland compressor. Boy, did I screw up.

At the time of installation, my HVAC technician recommended that I purchase a Westinghouse system but I overrode his opinion and went with Goodman. Within months of my purchase, my father and my brother pulled the trigger on the same type of upgrade but chose Rheem as their solution. Well, fast forward to 2013. To date I have spent $1,200 on "warranty" repairs for the Goodman heat pump, all of the defective parts inside the heat pump outdoor unit, all Goodman assembled parts. Now, as icing on the cake, I have to replace the compressor. The current warranted compressor has seized. I haven't gotten the final estimate on my cost of this repair, but I'm sure it will push my total maintenance cost to something north of $2,000. This on a unit that I purchased and had installed for less than $4,000. My father and brother have spent nothing on their systems to date.

To make matters worse, I contacted Goodman customer service to discuss other remedies. I was told that Goodman was meeting their warranty liability but they would contact the distributor to get more information and would get back with me within a couple of days. After more than a week with no response, I sent a letter to the president of Goodman in Houston explaining my plight and requesting that this unit be replaced with a new unit as a gesture of goodwill. It's now been two weeks and I've gotten no response from Goodman. I did not expect that kind of treatment from any enterprise selling expensive capital goods. I could accept a response of "Sorry to hear about your troubles, but we're only required to meet our warranty commitments." No response at all is unacceptable. It's obvious that Goodman is not concerned about customer relationships, only the bottom line.

To all who scan these forums, you've been warned. Caveat emptor.

Thanks.

MeloAir

Reaction score
Website
www.meloairinc.com
Sorry to hear about your trouble. This is really why its the best idea to go with your contractor's recommendation. That recommendation is always the best brand to install. You may have a lemon and your contractor may be unfamiliar with the equipment. The contractor would be somewhat on the hook if you went with his brand. They're also going to have more leverage negotiating with the manufacture/distributor, who seem to mostly ignore the end user.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
This is one good reason to pay the extra $50 for the Goodman warranty.

Covers everything no questions asked.

What is the problem, If they are giving you a new compressor under warranty ?

Good Luck.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Now that Goodman is owned by Daikin, it's not clear whether past reliability performance would be relevant to any newer equipment.

Expecting a response from a written letter to the president isn't very realistic. Chasing the people who SAID they'd get back to you shouldn't be necessary, but that's more likely to get at least SOME sort of response and eventual resolution.

It's pretty clear that "the problem" is the ongoing repair & maintenance costs of the equipment and slow communication/resolution of warranty issues. The new compressor may or may not at no cost for the part, but the diagnostics & replacement labor don't sound like they're covered. Even the running rate of $1200 in stated repairs prior to the compressor swap seems a bit out of hand for something that was commissioned a mere 4 years ago.

DonL

Reaction score
Now that Goodman is owned by Daikin, it's not clear whether past reliability performance would be relevant to any newer equipment.

Expecting a response from a written letter to the president isn't very realistic. Chasing the people who SAID they'd get back to you shouldn't be necessary, but that's more likely to get at least SOME sort of response and eventual resolution.

It's pretty clear that "the problem" is the ongoing repair & maintenance costs of the equipment and slow communication/resolution of warranty issues. The new compressor may or may not at no cost for the part, but the diagnostics & replacement labor don't sound like they're covered. Even the running rate of $1200 in stated repairs prior to the compressor swap seems a bit out of hand for something that was commissioned a mere 4 years ago.

Unless you buy the Extended warranty, then I think the install is up to you, after 1 or maybe 2 years.

When I bought mine the extended warranty was $50 and included labor.

I did not pay the extra money because I was the installer, and could fix it myself.

It has been working for 18 years or so, With only a minor problem when a 2 section start/run Cap went bad.

Cost me $13 to fix it.

Sometimes it is best to get a second opinion, when you are told that your compressor is bad.

Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I'd say that much of it comes down to the install. You will find many negative reviews on Goodman online, but I don't think there is a problem with the unit. I think much of it comes down to a couple factors:

1. Bascially anyone can buy them. That means many are installed DIY, by handymen, etc.
2. The pros don't like it that Goodman will sell to anyone, so many pros will bash Goodman (and who knows how many of these "reviews" are actually real).
3. Someone looking for an inexpensive unit is also probably looking at inexpensive labor (see #1). It also means that even if a pro installs it, they may take some shortcuts because the person wants it in and running for the lowest cost possible. Most don't understand that the more time-comsuming steps up front will make the unit last longer and perform better.

I considered Goodman/Amana when I bought my unit, but went with York due to other factors. The Goodman was less expensive for similar performance, but the York had other things going for it. The other major factor is that I was limited on the air handler height since this was on a basement slab (had to add a return air box under it and then had the plenum tight to the joists, so limited room in between). The York had an air handler that would do the job and fit the space. The modular indoor units (York or Goodman) would have been a few inches too tall for my application.

DonL

Reaction score
I agree nukeman, the install is everything.

When I worked for Monkey W we would start a compressor change out in the morning and finish it on the last call.
We gave it most of the day to pump the system down and check for leaks. Had very little Recalls.

When I worked for Sears they wanted to do it in a hurry. Change it and run.

The Sears rate of fail was much higher when the Job was rushed. But it only had to last for 90 days. Then more Labor charge, even if the part is free.

Some Technicians think that a new dryer is all that is needed , and do not even bother to put the system in a vacuum and check for leaks before filling it.

I was so glad to get away from Consumer appliance repair in the 70s, But the money was good.

It was very hard to work for a company that screws its customers.

It is hard to find good help and people that care about their work now a days, and most workers do what the company says, because the pay is good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks