Double sanitary tee vs double combination wye, back to back toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Jfknz

Reaction score
Due to a tight squeeze between the floor and ceiling below, we installed a double sanitary tee (accommodating a toilet on one side and a shower on the other). Upon receiving the documentation for the toilet (Toto model MS854114S(G)/MS853113S) we discovered that they recommend against this and instead suggest use of a double combination wye (see page 2 of
https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms854114s.pdf

Toto recommends wye in back-to-back toilet installations - which is not my situation as tee only serves one toilet and one shower.
Has anyone had a problem (or success) using a double sanitary tee in a situation like mine?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The problem with doing it with back-to-back toilets is that the water from one toilet can shoot across and effect the opposite one. The shower drain does not flow as such, and should not be an issue.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The velocity of the flushed water from the toilet is fairly fast...without the 'proper' fitting, it can shoot across to the other fixture (the shower). Probably not enough to come up in the shower, but it is a potential risk. It will also make snaking the line tougher as it may just go across rather than down.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's going to mess with the shower. I would install a 3x2 wye lower down the stack for the shower and come up separately for the shower, and then revent at 42" above the floor.
This is not a good plan what you have done.

I would not put a shower opposite a toilet. Especially with the new ones that are using a 3" flush valve.

abs_3x2_wye.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on HOW you did the shower drain, NEITHER fitting may be "approved" or appropriate. The proper fitting would be a "back to back fixture fitting".

Jfknz

Reaction score
update

I just want to update this thread and thank those that replied -- esp. Terry for giving an amateur like me a forum to ask such questions.

It's been 1.5 years since I started using the bathroom daily and at this point I'm happy to say cacher_chick's prediction is proving correct. I've had no problems with the 'unapproved' way I ran the toilet/shower drain. Having said that, I'd still be wearing doing it again given the very good point jadnashua made about problems snaking. I'd just like anyone stuck in a similar situation with so little space to work with to know that it worked - so far, so good.

Thanks again, all.

Jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks