Why does the vent have to be above the flood level rim?

Users who are viewing this thread

tmpusr889

Lost in Never Never Land
Reaction score
I understand that vents are needed to prevent vacuums from forming because of negative air pressure and thus prevent the traps from draining. I don't understand why the vent needs to be six inches above the flood level rim. It seems like allowing air in, at any height, as long as it is downstream from the trap, would relieve/prevent the vacuum. Can someone explain this to me in dummy terms?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the sink backs up, then the vent fills with water and is no longer a vent.
The vertical sections drain away the solids well, but the horizontal sections don't. Therefore, code wants the horizontal unwashed sections to be above the flood plain. It's the long term solutions to keeping the system up and running no matter what.

Imagine if Japan had placed their infrastructure above the flood plain. It just makes sense to prevent water problems in the future. If those sections of pipe are where the sludge and water can't collect, then they will last as long as the home.

There are some cases where inspectors will allow piping with waste fittings below the flood level.

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
If you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't be doing your own plumbing...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are some cases where inspectors will allow piping with waste fittings below the flood level.
My kitchen sink is in front of a window and the sill is too low to allow the vent to be the required distance above the rim. The inspector made an exception.

Free standing tubs are another case.

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
The other option would have been to use a longer trap arm, with the drain running off the side of the window and run the trap arm to under the kitchen sink. I've even seen in some houses where they just run this drain flush along the studs and notch th cabinets around the pipe.....
Michael

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
My kitchen sink is in front of a window and the sill is too low to allow the vent to be the required distance above the rim. The inspector made an exception.

Usually there's just a longer trap arm and a typical vent/drain beside the window actually...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The vent went vertical up to the window sill and turned sideways to go around the window where it went vertical again. The horizontal section was above the rim of the sink but the inspector noted that it was not 6" above as required by code.

{edit}It was a wide mulled pair of windows, much wider than the sink base cabinet so the trap arm would have had to be much longer and be routed through an adjacent base cabinet. Around here they don't let us do side turns on the same plane so I could not jog the trap arm unless I rolled a pair of elbows.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
............... why the vent needs to be six inches above the flood level rim.?

The take off for the vent isn't the issue. It is that a vent pipe can not be HORIZONTAL below that 6" number, for the reasons explained by others. The vent has to take off, and rise on at least a 45º angle.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You only quoted HALF of the requirement. The other part is 'or 42" above the floor whichever is HIGHER'. That requirement is so you cannot put it a 21" for a toilet and then later install a 36" high sink on that line and expect it to be legal.

tmpusr889

Lost in Never Never Land
Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. The link was helpful and I forgot about backup issues.

I still have a question though. If the vent branches are at 45 degrees and are allowed to drain and the main vent is above the flood plain, shouldn't that be enough? Why does the initial rise have to continue until it's above the flood plain? What is wrong with this:

?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks