Replace American Standard tank 4040 74, or other alternative?

Users who are viewing this thread

ExeutiveRanch

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We are renting a cool old Doris Day house (built 1960). Fixing the place up is part of our rental agreement--the owner has some budget but there's not a ton of available cash and quite a lot of work to do.

Unfortunately, the utilities were turned off last winter, and the tank of the old American Standard 4040 74 (white, wall-mounted) has a large crack in it. The bowl holds water, so we're assuming it is ok.

In a perfect world, we would replace the tank, but according to American Standard, the 4040 74 tank has not been made since 1993, and they don't have a suggested replacement. I found a couple online, but none in white, and even the colored ones were $600-$900!

I quickly realized that there are not many wall-mounted toilets out there anymore.

I thought about the Glenwall, but it sticks out pretty far, and there wouldn't be much knee room between the front of the toilet and the cabinetry opposite the toilet.

The Rexmont (Rexmount?) by Crane doesn't stick out as far but it seems like a lot of money to pay for a toilet that has been described as "something to cover the hole in the wall."

Does anyone have other suggestions? Epoxy the crack? Some sort of plastic liner? A big garbage bag taped to the inside of the tank? Obviously, I'm open to ideas. Thanks for any thoughts....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the tank gives out, the cost to you will run in the thousands.

The only way to find an old A/S tank is if someone is pulling one out.
We've been installing the new Glenwall toilets, and yes they may be just a little longer, but they are much nicer to use too.

glenwall_picture.jpg

Glenwall toilets in the Seattle area
Terry Love, 206-949-5683

Last edited:

ExeutiveRanch

Reaction score
How much work to replace one wall-mount with another?

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply. How much work is involved in replacing the old AS 4040 with a Glenwall or a Rexmo(u)nt? Does it involve cutting into/repairing the wall, or can you just take off the old toilet and replace it with the new one?

Also, are we absolutely sure there's no replacement for the tank, even one that might not be glamorous, might require some modification, or have a possibility of failure? The toilet is in a powder room--centrally located so we could keep an eye on it, but it wouldn't see daily or even weekly use, and it's over an unfinished basement. I know this all sounds a bit hillbilly, but the reality is that the house will probably be extensively remodeled by whoever lives in it after we move out, so the toilet's days are numbered no matter what.

Thanks for your input--this is a really great site!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The American Standard Glenwall uses the same mounting. It takes us a little more them than a standard toilet installation. We install with the foam rubber washer.
The Crane Rexmont wasn't worth installing in my opinion. It was a clog waiting to happen.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Personally, I would rather install a dozen wall hung toilets, assuming the mounting bracket is properly installed, than a couple of floor mounts. Just remove the 4 nuts, pull the toilet off the wall, insert the new gasket in the back of the toilet, set it on the bolts and carefully tighten the 4 nuts again. (There is a procedure for tightening the nuts, but it is a bit lengthy and you probably would not do it anyway.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks