Rear Discharge toilet in basement???

Users who are viewing this thread

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
Hello, Im looking to put a bathroom in my basement but really do not want to bust the concrete floor up. I drew a little sketch of what is on my 4" stack now, just bought the house, and a possible after. Is this to much stuff on a 4" stack? The kitchen is on the other side of the house and has its own 2" vent

Can I ad a rear discharge floor mount toilet directly to the stack? It would be 18" from the stack.
toiletbowlelong.jpg
Then to the left of the toilet have a washer, sink, and shower pumped and vented to the same 4" stack, via something like this
saniswiftrear.jpg
Here is a horrid sketch of what I have now
Scan0001.jpg
Here is what I am thinking. Having these 3 pumped and vented to the 4" stack.
Scan0002.jpg

Will the rear discharge work? Its $249 I would rather pay more for the toilet then break up my floor. The pump for the shower/sink/washer is about the same price.

Any input is appreciated, Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to vent the toilet before it enters the stack. Otherwise, everytime a toilet is flushed upstairs, it will make the lower bowl lose water.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
would it vent back into the stack just anywhere? or does it need to be vented above where the main floor toilet ties in?

If I put a 4x2 reducing tee in above where the main floor toilet ties into the stack would it be sufficient to vent all the basement things into the 2 inch "washer,shower,sink,toilet" ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can join into the existing vent 42" above the floor OR 6" above the flood rim of the highest thing draining into that line - whichever is higher. The new vent does not need to go all the way up and out the roof if it can join into the existing one. Now, the overall required size of the vent that goes up from there has some rules (the more things that vent, the bigger it needs to be). As I understand it, that is governed by the amount of fixture units. Each type of thing (sink, washing machine, etc.) has a FU assigned to it. It's also possible that different codes allow different values, so you'd need to know what code cycle is used where you live.

slowgsxr97

Reaction score
So... if I want to use the main stack as the vent I need to tie the basement vent stuff in above the sink on the main floor bathroom, correct?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks