Shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

frank19991999

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am replacing a bathtub with a shower. The drain is 1 1/2 all the way to the main horizontal stack. Please take a look at the attaached picture and let me know if my plan is OK ? Is the toilet flange to close to the new wye ? The distance is about 11".

Thanks much

Attachments

• 100_0047_1.jpg
    100_0047_1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code nearly everywhere requires 2" for a shower; 1.5" is fine for a tub.

frank19991999

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and sorry for the confusion - I was in a hurry and didn't explain enough what I need -

I rented a demo hammer and dug all the way to the main stack. I need to replace the existing 1 1/2" drain with 2". I thought I will find a 2" pipe somewhere to attach the new shower drain but no luck. My plan is to cut that 3" pipe and insert a 3x3x2 wye and go from there.
Is any minimum required distance from the toilet flange to the wye ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
you can put it as close to the toilet vent as you like. Make sure you vent the shower(11/2).

frank19991999

Reaction score
11/2 to 2 coupling

Thanks much for the answers.

Is using a 11/2 to 2" coupling to connect the new 2" pipe to the existing 3x3x11/2 wye an option ?

Thanks,
Frank

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks