Extreme heat trapping: what next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gellfex

Reaction score
I installed an indirect WH last winter with heat trap loops, and the hot and cold feed pipes were still quite hot from the 130 deg tank even well past the loops. While the losses from the pipes were fine in winter since it just helped heat the basement where I work, in summer it's all bad. So I just installed dielectric heat trap nipple in addition, and put foam insulation around both the zone and HW pipes, but the pipes are still damn hot. What can I do next?

Is it possible much of the heat isn't from convection but from copper conductivity? Why does there not seem to be a nonmetallic nipple to be used in place of the dielectric? Or is this the wrong direction?

My supplier insisted that the indirect system's passive losses would be less than the gas fired WH, even though I was firing my boiler (W-M CGi) all summer instead of it taking a vacation. I hope he's right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks