Wall Vented Range Hood

Users who are viewing this thread

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
Hey guys, I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a decent range hood that i can vent through the wall, that does NOT have to be mounted to a cabinet...

most of the ikea/HD ones don't specifcally say you can vent through the wall, does anyone have experience with this?

Style is not a big concern, but I don't want to pay $1000 for a hood...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of them are not built strong enough to just hang on the wall without support from above. Some are not 'finished' on the top horizontal surface. Most of those that are recirculating, have a removable plug so you can actually vent them outside. You'd need to find one that would let you vent directly out the back. What you may find as difficult is fabricating an air-tight fitting that would transition to something you could fit a vent cap on outside on the wall that also has a damper in it to prevent the hood from becoming a direct open hole to the outside. While I heartily concur venting to the outside is preferable (and mine is), keeping that sealed off and transitioning to a termination out there can be problematic, especially if the wall depth is 2x4 construction. There are some designed to hang and the decorative duct comes out the top, then turns to go out through the wall, but the pipe diameter is pretty large. Mine was particularly troublesome, as iit required an 8" round outlet, but then it has a pretty large motor that could lift your toupe on high if you aren't careful!

Sorry I can't recommend something...I'm sure there's some out there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The rear outlet is not that rare, but trying to hang it would be the big problem without a cabinet above it. You would have to create some decorative brackets to mount it to. Most do NOT have a "finished" top since they are intended to mount to something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks