ABS or PVC shower drain? which is better?

Users who are viewing this thread

roygbiv

Reaction score
I need to convert my cast iron shower drain (meaning just the p-trap & drain, line remains cast iron) to either ABS or PVC for a new shower system I am putting in. This is for a shower stall that will be completely tiled - ceiling, 3 walls, floor - if that makes any difference. I realize this is probably a novice question. But, since I have the choice of either ABS or PVC, which is better? Thanks.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Shower Liner

Aside from the drain line, what type of shower liner, (pan) will you be installing?

e-plumber-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
PVC vs ABS seems to be a regional choice. For example, here in San Diego, ABS is virtually in universal use; therefore PVC fittings in drainage configuration are not readily available.

ABS pipe is not schedule 40, and therefor has no pressure rating and less mechanical strength, but is this really an issue? ABS because it is foam-core, not solid, weighs less and is easier to lug around.

Maybe some plumbers who have used both can weigh in with their preferences.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
KS is PVC

Thank you again jimbo for educating me. In Kansas we are almost all PVC and ABS fittings cost almost three times as much. My Dad was ABS because it looks a hell of a lot better than white pipe and purple streaks.
Jimbo has California always been ABS? We were until PVC became cheaper a decade ago. We feel PVC is a tougher pipe than ABS. Do you paint the vents on the roof?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
San Diego county went straight from cast iron to ABS (60's?.. a little before my time). I have never seen a PVC drain system. Now, I cannot speak for north of here ( LA County area, or LaLa land as we say) They do tend to march to a different drummer. I think they were still doing cast iron water pipes into the sixties; San Diego went copper in 1950 or so in a big way. I can tell this from the older bulidings I have worked on. I am familiar with several large appartment complexes , all built around 1951: all cast iron and copper. Then there is Northern California; we don't even talk about those people!

roygbiv

Reaction score
thanks all!

I'm in No Cal and am 99% sure we are going with the Schluter Kerdi shower system (walls, tray, drain). Their drains can be ordered for either PVC or ABS. The drain in our other bathroom is ABS. So it sounds like either is fine and it's a personal choice.

LonnythePlumber

Reaction score
Yes - Sch 40 PVC DWV - Yes

This is the second time I have read the statement that PVC DWV is not available in Sch 40. That's all I use. I checked with my supply house and at the Charlotte site and there is SCH 40 PVC DWV. Solid too not foam-core.
I now replicate the markings of this 8 foot piece of pipe before me,
"0704303B5BX 2" Cresline PVC DWV / nsf-dwv / ASTM D 2665 SCH 40 280 PSI Pr Water at 73 degrees F PVC 1120 / nsf-pw/ ASTM D 1785 PPFA".
I'm now going to lite a cigar.

LonnythePlumber

Reaction score
$3.00 Cigar

I've only let myself lite a $3.00 cigar because I remembered I started this thread out projecting, that most of us would prefer PVC when that is not true. I should not speak for others when I barely know myself.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Most drains in Canada come in ABS (black) Some come in White PVC. Not sure which is better because it depends on the use and the type of drain line. In private homes you will most times see black drain pipe (ABS) form most applications.

In multi family homes like condos and town homes they require cast iron or copper pipes - on these jobs we use a Cast Iron rough in called a Baby Blue by watts.

One of the best drains I know of is made of PVC and is white. It's made by ACO for their linear shower drains primary drain connection to the waterproofing system.

I like that the bolts are Stainless steel. I just found a Sioux Chief drain rusting in my side yard. Just the bolts. It uses a grey PVC material for it's construction.

I help out a lot with people in California looking for the right drain choice. ACO makes a cast iron drain for them too and for anyone needing their drain made from a non combustable material.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The most frequent question I get asked from people ordering an Aco drain kit from me is

"How do I connect the ACO PVC drain to an ABS line?"

This is how... With a transition glue.

30900_GHS.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Humm, now he's responding to 10-year old posts...the man knows how to get his advertising out there!

He complains about me, but I'm not selling anything.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The best "Point Drain" I recommend to my clients locally is made by a California Company called California Faucets. Their "Style Drain" is made from powder coated cast iron and is the best of the best I have found.

The one I installed looked like this...

0c411d3d01be2591_5961-w660-h495-b0-p0--modern-.jpg

I tweaked the install a little....

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
In this picture you can see a Watts Baby Blue under flood test with a NobleSeal TS waterproofing. Later I installed a linear drain over this drain location.

The top collar on the Baby Blue is Grey PVC. The base is cast iron. This job in Vancouver and park of a multi family development....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks