Installing a Toto toilet uni-adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

West104

Reaction score
Hello all, Here is my problem according to my plumber. The flange on my toilet is too high thus causing the toilet to rock and thus an improper seal. My understanding is the drain pipe should be a little higher and the flange a little lower. Should the drain pipe and toilet horn overlap? I've always been confused about this. I'm wondering if installing a Toto toilet with a uni-adapter will solve the problem. The other option is to take the floor tiles up see what I have to work with. It's a concrete slab under the bathroom. Would grinding the floor and leveling it off be a step in the right direction? I've read that the toilet flange should sit ontop of the tiles. That is is currently situated. Thanks for your help.

West 104

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flange should sit on the finished floor and be bolted/screwed to the flooring. These are typically 1/4" higher than the finished floor. ANy toilet should sit flat on this.

West104

Reaction score
thanks Jim

I appreciate your input. Actually on one side the flange is not resting completely on the floor. It has a little plaster under it. I was wondering if this would affect the installation of the uni-adapter or the actual installation of a new toilet.

West104

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All I can say is maybe. Plaster is not that strong. Keep in mind that (on a normal toilet, not a Toto with the unifit) the flange is what holds everything in place. With the Toto Unifit adapter, the adapter not only is held in place by the bolts in the flange, but also by 4 additional screws/bolts at the back of the adapter. The toilet is bolted to the adapter, not directly to the flange. I've put in two Toto's in my house (I'm not a pro). It appears that the adapter has a little more leaway height wise to make that adapter to flange connection. I did use Fluidmaster's waxless seal, since it is much easier to take things off to repaint, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks