Threaded PVC Fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

bf9ys02

Reaction score
I replaced galvanized nipples at toilet and cold lavatory supply valves with gray PVC nipples. What would be wrong with using them for the hot supplies as well?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nipples

OTher than the fact that they can, and often will, crack at the threads, even on the cold water side, and that the hot water will soften them, I guess nothing. It is your house and you can flood it if you want to.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
PVC is not allowed within a dwelling by any code. Plastic nipples do have a tendency to crack at the root of the threads. In CPVC work, I do not know if nipples are used. I would prefer a glued stub-out.

bf9ys02

Reaction score
For what it is worth, they are SCHD 80. Sounds like a bad idea though.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC is weak when hot; therefore not suitable for hot water even where permitted by code. CPVC is ok for hot water but may be expensive.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What makes PVC fail at the threads? :::: It's plastic for gosh sake!

Does the size or sch of PVC make a difference? ::::: size always matters.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pvc

I have seen every size of PVC break at the threads. It is a rigid material that has absolutely no tolerance for lateral stress. Especially after a lot of material is removed to thread it. If you move/bend the PVC sideways at a thread it will crack.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
How about useing brass nipples. Install today and they'll be good as new when all of us are worm food.

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
Are we talking pressure PVC or dwv?

I have seen municipal pump houses, well pits, stock water pipelines, and other work done with all PVC fittings. I will concede that often when the pipe is four, maybe three, inches or larger flanges are often use; however small pipes are pretty much put together with threaded pvc. I do notice that many buried PVC fittings in engineered jobs are pack joint type fittings. Also, pvc water well drop pipe is threaded pvc, but that doesn't have lateral stress.

Is there more movement in a household plumbing that causes the threads to fail? Is there something else?

This is all really interesting. Thanks for the information.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think it's LASCO that says the primary cause of PVC and other plastic females failing is overtightening them; in essence, not following the instructions.

I've used many of all types over many years without failure. I also use plastic males with the same results.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks