Another double vanity sink drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

suntan

Reaction score
Doing some planning for an upcoming double vanity sink (ie bath sinks)..... I am planning 2 separate drains that meet in 1 1/2 inch horizontal pipe. Is this acceptable for code purposes? How many DFUs is a double vanity sink?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

Your code would have to determine whether it can be done. Personally, I would not do it unless it is a 2" line. In addition, HOW you connect them to the horizontal line will determine whether it is proper or not.

kingnus

Reaction score
double vanity sink

Hate to butt in but I am running into the same problem, tying the (new) second sink into a 2.0 horizontal waste running about 6 feet from the first sink to a 3.0 waste(down to basement/vent thru the roof. Tying in the second sink between the first sink and the 3.0 wast/vent. I believe the first sink also has a vent a couple of feet from it tying into the same 3.0 waste/vent.
Would I use a wye to tie the second sink in?
Thanks
Chuck

double_lav_rough_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The first sink having a vent ANYWHERE, or there being a vent where it ties in is immaterial to your NEW sink. It needs a vent and neither of the existing ones may be suitable for it. The type of fitting, and where it goes, will depend on factors that we cannot tell without more information or at least a picture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks