Lav flow rate handwashing to activate tankless heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
I'm looking at a mini-tankless water heater that requires a flow rate of 0.53 GPM to turn on the heating element.

How much flow from a lav faucet is 0.53 GPM ?? Is that a fully opened tap, half open, or what?

I'm concerned that we usually don't turn on the tap enough to reach that flow rate; in which case a mini-tank would be what we want instead of the tankless.

And I've seen a few brand names mentioned here; what are some that I can investigate for their tank type (metal vs plastic) & other qualities to choose from ?

I also have to decide based on the amps required; I'm going to have to install a new electric cable from the fuse box and i'd like to run the smallest gauge i can get away with.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

The heaters you are asking about are completely useless. The ONLY way you get warm water from them is when you use their restrictive aerator which only flows a few small jets of water. Replace the aerator to get adequate flow and the water flows through too quickly to even get warm. AND they need 30 amps or more, depending on their wattage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks