Gluing CPVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Amopower

Reaction score
Does the orange CPVC cement need to be applied right after the purple primer is put on, or can the purple primer be on the pipe for a couple days or more, then put the orange cement on? The directions didnt seem to clear on whether or not the gluing had to happen immediately after the primer.

Amopower

Reaction score
I didnt mean that I had to wait the two days, I was just wondering if there would be any harm in doing so. I've been taking my time with a project, so that's why I asked. I'm mounting some pipes near the ceiling in the garage and was going to prime all of them at "ground level" and then glue them together when I felt like it. Sounds like it has to be immediate (then again its probably immediate for most plumbers because they dont have the need to take their time and space things out like a homeowner can).

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not CPVC experienced, but with regular white PVC, you prime then apply the solvent as soon as the primer has dried. I would assume (dangerous to do) that CPVC would be treated the same.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I second hj, the primer softens the surfaces, so you apply the cement while the primer is still wet. If the primer dries, it makes a "skin" which prevents a really good joint. Since most pvc DWV systems are never under pressure, unless a line clogs, then it's just head pressure, very few systems leak, even though the joints were made properly. However, I have seen a lot of plumbing where it's just the interference fit that keeps it from leaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks