Reliability of cable-driven bath waste?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cheakamus

Reaction score
I was sold a cable-driven bath waste and overflow mechanism with my tub, but I'm hesitating to install it because the cable "gearbox" will not be accessible once it's installed. Should it go wrong, I'm not sure I could retrofit any other type of stopper. I also wonder whether it might have a propensity to leak, since the cable or an axle penetrates the pipe. The manufacturer is Westbrass and the model # is D50P27. Has anyone had any experience with type of mechanism?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have had customers break the fittings, but no matter what happens to it, you will NOT be able to repair it unless you can access the area behind and under the tub.

Cheakamus

Reaction score
Thanks, HJ. That confirms it then — I'm definitely not going to install this drain and will instead look for a simpler drain with perhaps a toe-tap type stopper that can easily be replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks