Bath Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

bagjeff

Reaction score
I'm looking for a second opinion on my plumbing rough-in..... I had a plumber friend come by my house to give me some pointers on my remodel job. In the attached picture you see from the underside what we came up with for a wet vent system for my full bath.

I only want to see the inspector two more times on this project and don't want to insult my friend, but I am concerned about the sharp bend up to the sink - should I be? Also, is the side inlet into the 3" main o.k. for a wet vent application? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo-of-bath-plumbing.jpg
    photo-of-bath-plumbing.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 890

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

It is hard to tell which elbow you used, but if it is a long radius one like the others it will be okay. I might have made the first elbow further away from the toilet line if by so doing it would have lined up with the sink drain coming through the floor. Barring that, I might have used a 45 to line up with the sink drain's pipe through the floor. A 1 1/2" tub drain would not pass here, but there it may be okay, but you will still need a separate vent for it. And a "picky" inspector might want the 3x2 "Y" rolled upward so the wet vent is not at the same elevation as the toilet drain, but it may pass since it is being used as a wet vent, rather than a dry one.

bagjeff

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.....

I used a 'street 90' after the 3x2 'Y' combo fitting to return back to the sink. Any alarms go off?

By putting the first elbow further away from the toilet line (which I originally did by evidence of the empty hole through the joist) I would have gone over the "critical distance " - 6' away from the tub drain, thus requiring the tub to have a separate vent. Where I am, apparently this configuration will pass for tub venting. Code specifies 2" for shower drain, 1.5" for "tub drain", therefore, I should be ok there.

My biggest concern would be rolling the 3x2 'Y' up. By code, I don't think I carve up my joist any further, so, hopefully my inspector isn't of the picky variety.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
piping

The street ell, because it is not a long sweep, would not pass here. And you have violated one of the prime directives of plumbing by having the toilet flow past the tub connection without a separate vent for the tub. That configuration would not pass here because it does not really vent the tub properly.

K

kathywhite

By putting the first elbow further away from the toilet line (which I originally did by evidence of the empty hole through the joist) I would have gone over the "critical distance " - 6' away from the tub drain, thus requiring the tub to have a separate vent. Where I am, apparently this configuration will pass for tub venting. Code specifies 2" for shower drain, 1.5" for "tub drain", therefore, I should be ok there. Well, I am in the middle bathroom remodeling too but I am having bad time finding website that are related to this topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks