Help Turning on My Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

mechanix19

Reaction score
I just installed a Clack WS1. I've never used a water softener and am not sure how to get this thing going. It's all connected and on bypass right now. I bought this water softener used from someone local, so I'm guessing the settings programmed in will work with my water. My question is, how do I turn this on? Is there ea certain process? Do I just open the bypass valves and let it do its thing? Is there anything I'm supposed to make sure I do the first time turning it on? And is there anything else I have to do besides put salt in it occasionally? Thanks for help, it's very much appreciated.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
For starters, how hard is your water? If you do not know, please buy a HACH 5B test kit, test and let us know. What size is your system? What are the dimensions of the tank? I will be glad to post the programming guide for this unit once you get us the basics. Congrats, the WS-1 is a great system.

In general, you should only have to put salt in it, and clean the brine tank every few years. I would also recommend sanitizing the softener since its cleanlieness is questionable.

mechanix19

Reaction score
The water is 23ppm which is what the Clack is set for. It's a 48,000 grain system. I just don't know the process of turning on the system for the house. I'm sure there's something more I need to do than just take it off bypass. All hoses are hooked up and the salt is in the tank. Do I have to open one bypass to let it fill to a certain point then open the other? Do I have to do a regeneration? I'm lost with this.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
As Tom said, I would also put it into a manual regeneration after putting a few gallons of water into the salt tank.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I say you put the valve in backwash first then open the inlet by pass valve and then turn on the water about a 1/4 to 1/2 open and let the tank fill and get water out the drain line. Then watching the color of the drain water, turn the water on full open and run it until the water gets clear. Then open the outlet by pass valve.

If you don't do it that way you trap air in the resin tank and pressurize it to the psi of your water pressure, then it explodes out the tank as the unit goes into its first regeneration/backwash. That can pack resin in the control valve which would require taking the valve apart to clean it out. That includes the suggestion of just opening the by pass valve and running water in the house.

You have added water to the salt tank to dissolve 3 lbs of salt per gallon based on the salt dose setting in the control valve.

To sanitize/disinfect the softener, add a 1/4 cup of non scented bleach to like 2 gallons of water and add that water to the water in the salt tank and do a manual regeneration. Don't pour the water down through the salt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks