What kind of work can be done without a licensed plumber?

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
I'm in Texas and just curious about what kind of work can be done, if any, without a licensed plumber onsite by a journeyman?

Can he say give an estimate?

Can he get all of the parts and tools, then wait for the licensed plumber?

Can he do all of the work then have the licensed plumber verify everything was done correctly?

This isn't for any work to be done, just trying to understand how the industry, and licensing works in general.

EDIT: Thinking about it I'd guess there are some things a journeyman can do without a licensed plumber, say replacing a fixture, but what would be the protocol for something like a water heater where maybe a licensed plumber would be necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally a journeyman plumber is a licensed plumber. You may be thinking of an apprentice plumber.
Some places call them master plumbers.
Here in Washington State, there is a residential license and a commercial license for a journeyman plumber.

An estimate can be given by anyone. That's sales. I know plenty of places that hire salesmen to keep the plumbers busy with work. Your rough in crews normally have a journeyman on site all the time, making sure the layout is correct.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I assume you are talking about situations where a license is required -- like for-hire work.

Many places allow you to do a lot of work yourself on your own residence without any license at all, etc. Here in Santa Clara, I can ask my (unlicensed) brother to come over and change the water heater with me, as long I pull a permit.

Sometimes, in some places (like at my other place back in Texas), a permit may not even be required. Some form of building codes always apply, though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is usually a local issue. Here, as long as the work does not require a permit, and the TOTAL price of the entire job including other trades is less than $700.00, it can go under the "handyman exemption" and not need a license. However, there are MANY plumbers advertising "unlicensed plumber" but also advertising water heater replacements and repiping, for example, which not only exceed the maximum price but also require permits. But, because stopping them would take time and money, the Registrar of Contractors prefers to hassle the licensed plumbers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks