Possible sink vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Randmness

Reaction score
Hello,
We are in the process of replacing our kitchen cabinets and sink in our condo unit, and came across the long PVC pipe that runs horizontally below the countertop and connect with the sink drain. In order to fit in the new sink, we need to lower this a few inches. I was a little apprehensive about touching this pipe, as I thought it might contain drainage from the unit above me. After looking around on this forum and others (I'm not a plumber by any means and I apologize if this is the incorrect forum), it looks like this may be the vent (about 40" from the sink) for the kitchen sink. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20120823_191515.jpg
    20120823_191515.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 721
  • 20120823_191600.jpg
    20120823_191600.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 511
  • 20120823_191618.jpg
    20120823_191618.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:

hagakure

Reaction score
It's most likely a vent. I don't think a condo complex would have plumbers stupid enough to run a drain pipe from the floor above directly into the sink drain of the kitchen below. They would be draining into the same drain stack. I don't see how it could have passed inspection if that wasn't the case.

Hopefully...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do find it interesting that the dishwasher has its own P trap rather than the normal connection. As a DIY I can't comment on its legality, it looks like it should be OK, just strange. Usually the DW drains into the disposal or a special tail piece. What you have seems to me to waste a lot of under sink space.

Last edited:

Randmness

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Knowing that its a vent definitely makes me less apprehensive about slightly adjusting its location.

In regards to the DW trap, I will have to look up the local code for MD (Columbia), to see what it says regarding air traps. I would love to get rid of that trap and connect it straight to the disposal.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Assuming it is a vent, it probably functions OK, it sort of meets the "spirit" of the code, but definitely does not actually comply with code. A vent cannot be horizontal ( less than 45º angle) when it less than 6" ABOVE the top of the sink. Keep this in mind if you want to change it.

Randmness

Reaction score
Awesome. When you refer to the vent not being less than 6" above the top of sink, do you mean 'less than 6" from the top of the sink'? The vent is a few inches (about 3 or so) below the counter top.

I also had a few quick questions:
1. When lowering the vent, is it recommended to slope the pipe down to the drain vs two 90 degree bends? I imagine the sloping (leveraging two 45 degree adapters) is better than 90 degree turns.
2. Is it ok to run the pvc pipe behind the metal water supply pipes? However, the wall behind the sink is a cylinder-block wall (maybe 2in deep) so I wouldn't be able to completely hide the PVC in the wall. I will double-check the clearance when I get home.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
No. jimbo means that the vent shouldn't go horizontal until it is at least 6" above the top of the sink. Normally, all of this venting is done inside the wall. What you have isn't really legal, but it probably works fine. It appears to me that perhaps that sink used to have an S-trap at some point and then was converted to a P-trap (with the "vent") during the last remodel. To make it right, you would have to open walls and run the vent up the wall, but that can be difficult to do in a condo.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe the gentleman misunderstood my comment regarding his unusual plumbing. I was not referring to the air gap. Air gaps are required in many places. Some places allow a high loop instead, but this is not the basis of my comments. Your DW is going into a P trap and then into the sink/disposer drain which also has a P trap. The conventional way to connect a DW drain (after the air gap) is into the disposal. If no disposal is used, then there is a tailpiece that goes in the sink drain before the P trap that the DW drain hose connects to. Again, this is totally unrelated to the air gap.

Randmness

Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses. It looks like I am going to look into getting a plumber anyhow. The faucet is soldered on, and this quickly approaching the limit of a DIYer like myself. Hopefully, I can get all this PVC resolved. Now time to find a reputable plumber...

I really do appreciate the help.

Last edited:

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
the horizontal PVC pipe is the vent for the kitchen sink, you can lower as necessary but you should try ond keep the offset above the drainboard (bottom) of the sink. As far as the dishwasher connection is concerned it is most likely illegal because you have 2 traps on 1 trap arm.That's illegal according to the UPC, not sure which code your jurisdiction uses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks