Democratic report: carcinogens injected into wells

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Sat Apr 16, 9:58 pm ET
WASHINGTON – Millions of gallons of potentially hazardous chemicals and known carcinogens were injected into wells by leading oil and gas service companies from 2005-2009, a report by three House Democrats said Saturday.

The report said 29 of the chemicals injected were known-or-suspected human carcinogens. They either were regulated under the Safe Drinking Water Act as risks to human health or listed as hazardous air pollutants under the Clean Air Act.

Methanol was the most widely used chemical. The substance is a hazardous air pollutant and is on the candidate list for potential regulation under the Safe Drinking Water Act.

The report was issued by Reps. Henry Waxman of California, Edward Markey of Massachusetts and Diana DeGette of Colorado.

The chemicals are injected during hydraulic fracturing, a process used in combination with horizontal drilling to allow access to natural gas reserves previously considered uneconomical.

The growing use of hydraulic fracturing has allowed natural gas production in the United States to reach levels not achieved since the early 1970s.

However, the process requires large quantities of water and fluids, injected underground at high volumes and pressure. The composition of these fluids ranges from a simple mixture of water and sand to more complex mixtures with chemical additives.

The report said that from 2005-2009, the following states had at least 100,000 gallons of hydraulic fracturing fluids containing a carcinogen: Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Wyoming, North Dakota, New Mexico, Montana and Utah.

States with 100,000 gallons or more of fluids containing a regulated chemical under the Safe Drinking Water Act were: Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Mississippi and North Dakota.

The report said many chemical components were listed as "proprietary" or "trade secret."

"Hydraulic fracturing has opened access to vast domestic reserves of natural gas that could provide an important stepping stone to a clean energy future," the report said.

"Yet, questions about the safety of hydraulic fracturing persist, which are compounded by the secrecy surrounding the chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing fluids. This analysis is the most comprehensive national assessment to date of the types and volumes of chemical used in the hydraulic fracturing process."

The investigation of chemicals used in fracturing was started in the last Congress by the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which then was controlled by Democrats. The committee asked the 14 leading oil and gas service companies to disclose the types and volumes of the hydraulic fracturing products they used between 2005 and 2009 and the chemical contents of those products

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This is indeed a problem. Some people have been able to light their well water.

But, as I have said before, people in America should not be drinking from wells in this day and age.

Taxpayers should fit the bill to link them all up to piped supplies.

It's the 21st century for heaven's sake, not the Dark Ages.

Ban wells.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Most small towns get their water from large deep wells, so your proposal is a bit impractical. You want to drink river and lake water full of chloramine and chlorine?

We are going to need that gas now that no one will build nuclear anymore.

Cookie

Reaction score
Ban wells? Ian, what do you do when it would cost 60,000 to tap into city water? I got a house for sale, not me personally, and that house has no water. Water couldn't be found onto this property since the last one dried up, and that is what it would cost. So, instead, whoever, buys this piece, will have to have the firedept come and fill up the holding tank. Not fun. Especially at 125.00 a pop. It's a hard sale. And, it has to be a cash buyer since, it is not insurable. When it is shown I tell them the facets, tub, toilet and sink are just for decoration.

This is indeed a problem. Some people have been able to light their well water.

But, as I have said before, people in America should not be drinking from wells in this day and age.

Taxpayers should fit the bill to link them all up to piped supplies.

It's the 21st century for heaven's sake, not the Dark Ages.

Ban wells.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello All,

Ian, Do You live in USA or U.S.A.

Banning Guns is a bad idea. Do You think that bad people will turn their guns in ? NOT.
The crooks will then be the only one having them.

To ban water wells is not even the answer. We pay enough taxes now.
I do look at a time when we will have our water wells metered, and pay taxes, for what we use.

What they need to do is ban government from doing stupid crap, Just for more money.

Oil Company's and insurance companies fit into the same category, They just drain our wallets.

The Dark Ages will come again, Hide and watch. Won't be long now.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Cookie

Reaction score
Metered wells, I wonder, that sounds possible to be taxed. Is their talk there of taxing it? I know you can measure the volume but, didn't hear about the taxing, yet.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks