Doing a creative watering setup and have some questions on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Joebif

Reaction score
I have a greenhouse with Fish and plants in it. This is called Aquaponics.

I am growing in a room seedlings and have a setup hooked up to my cold water standard pressure line. I have a tank with a float valve and when the tank gets low the float valve tell the cold water to fill up the 10 gallon tank.

I would like to add in to the setup some aquaponic nutrients. The seedlings get started okay with cold water but could use nutrients to get them to grow even faster.

Here is what I am thinking but need help and want to make sure I do it right but also save on building it myself. I am thinking that this would be the same as a well pump set up but using a 110 volt submersible pump in my lettuce rafts where the nutrients are the cleanest.
1. Have a water storage tank that gets filled with the use of that pump in the rafts.
2. The storage tank would be plumbed into the cold water in my greenhouse with either a mixing valve or a T. I could either use a mixing valve that would allow me to mix in a percentage of nutrients to cold water or just use a ball valve on both lines so I could use either one full strength not sure yet on that.
3. I would need a back-flow prevent-er so the fish tank water would not go into my cold water so when I wanted a drink it would prevent that. Or is there something better?
4. I would need a pressure gauge and a small pressure switch to turn on the pump but not sure if this will work because the cold water I think would fool the pressure switch and the switch would never go down unless there is a way to do this and it would read the pressure in the nutrient side only.

Any ideas? Does it look like I am on the right track?

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definatley need a backflow device or you could use an air gap by piping above your storage tank so the water supply is not directly connected.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks