Flange: "should" be level to tile floor???

Users who are viewing this thread

BellevuePaul

Seasoned DIYer
Reaction score
I was talking with a plumber that was quoting some work, and he suggested that if I'm installing tile, really it would be better to put my flange on top of the CBU, but level to the top of the tile, instead of on top of the tile. He claimed "it's just very difficult to get a solid base for the flange on top of tile."

Um, *what*???

The way I understand it, first of all floor tiles are pretty big relative to a CF, even 4x4" tiles there would be at most one seam on each quadrant of the flange.

Further more, a flange is not structural, so as long as it's secured relatively solidly, and the toilet is otherwise mounted on a level floor, "rocking" has nothing to do with the flange.

Finally, a lower flange means double wax rings or tall wax rings or other tricks that seem less certain than a single wax ring, and if it leaks, it leaks into the floor instead of on top of the floor.

Is anybody interested in offering a credible viewpoint as to why this licensed professional might have been suggesting this approach???

I'm certain what I intend to do, I'm just terribly curious to either disprove that this is the commonly accepted approach, or find out why that would be, if he was actually right.

thanks...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

Well, he may be licensed but I question the "professional" part. Any reliable plumber who has been in the business for more than a couple of months knows the flange goes on top of the floor. That is the reason toilets have a space under them. The toilet fastens to the flange, but whether it moves or not is a function of how securely the flange is fastened, not how high or low it is.

TheZster

Reaction score
Just finished tiling my new bathroom addition - then installing my flange on top of the tile.
I spent quite a bit of time making sure my tile had "cutouts" for all 6 anchor holes (thank god for professional wet saws) - not wanting to try to drill through the tile after installed. - I seem to have bad luck drilling holes - even with the proper bit - in ceramics without them cracking....

Maybe he didn't want to deal with the same issue?????

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
flange

HJ has it. On top is the only way.........
The guy doesn't have much experience.
I'm never too old to learn.
Thezster, what kind if toilet needs slots for what kind of anchores?

TheZster

Reaction score
My toilet flange had 6 holes for anchors to the floor ringing the flange. I used all 6 with concrete screws....... The toilet itself anchored to the flange with the standard 2 bolts. Was that overkill? Toilet is secure... even my mother-in-law can use it without it moving... (get the idea?)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I believe if your house is carried away by a tornado or hurricane, the toilet will still be standing.

TheZster

Reaction score
That was the general idea.... though my mother-in-law is a much bigger (get it) issue....

(no honey, I didn't write that.... someone else must have my login I.D.) :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks