Nailer for Framing

Users who are viewing this thread

RedneckPlumber

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting ready to start finishing our basement, and am starting to look for a good air nailer. Is there a minimum psi I should look for? or brand? I would only be using it for framing, as I already have finish and brad nailers. I'm probably going to order one of the ones below. Any suggestions on which would be best?

http://www.findtoolsnow.com/Makita-Framing-Air-Nailer-120-PSI-3-12in.-Size-Model-AN901.html

http://www.findtoolsnow.com/Makita-Coil-Air-Nailer-120-PSI-12in.-Size-Model-AN621.html

http://www.findtoolsnow.com/Makita-Pneumatic-Air-Nailer-120-PSI-4-78in.-Size-Model-AG125.html

Thanks!

TheZster

Reaction score
Sounds like me........ used the basement remodel as an excuse to buy a framing gun...

That being the case, I couldn't justify more than a couple hundred bucks for a gun that I will use sparingly, especially compared to a professional framer who uses his all day every day. I ended up with a Hitachi gun and dual tank compressor package for $400.

You can buy a gun with adjustable depth control... but I find that the depth of the nail is going to vary a lot depending on how you shoot it, flat shots sink perfectly, angled toenails can be iffy. So, for my purposes the extra bucks for adjustability weren't worth it.

Not an expert, but as I understand it, most framing guns require 70-75psi... and I'd say you'll be happy with any "name brand" for the relatively limited amount of use you'll give it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's a thought for you. Instead of nailing, use screws. A corded 3/8" VS drill will drive screws easily, screws are easy to remove if you find you put a stud in the wrong place and have to move it, there's no need for ear protection, you won't need an air compressor, and you'll have many more uses for the drill. I use deck screws from HD, the kind with the newer "square drive-phillips head". They're stronger than regular screws and don't spin out as bad. They also are more expensive. I have a large air compressor, but I can't justify the cost of a framing nailer. I do have a finishing nailer, but that's another story. I like the corded drill better than a battery one because of the power and it never runs out of juice. I have a Dewalt, but any of the other top brands will do. For anchoring into concrete, I use a smallish rotary hammer/drill to drill holes then insert a lead ferrel. Quick and easy. Those drills are around $100 including several sizes of bits and chisels. Don't use it everyday, but when I need to drill into concrete or chisel some out, it's a piece of cake.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks